Devon Countryside and Farming; 1950’s

https://youtu.be/A1Ygz0CiKZU?si=flJxkon32ns-ijED

This is a short film about the Devon countryside and farming in 1950’s Devon. One thing to notice the number of hedgerows and flowers and insets. Even though the 1950’s and 1960’s were really better for wildlife. And this film look idylic.. Lots of homes in 1950’s and even1960’s Britain had large numbers of homes with outside toilets. Myself and my brother and my mother and father where very lucky as when I was born in urban Gateshead we did have an inside toilet and bathroom which lots lots of homes in the area that I live still had outside toilets and no inside bathrooms. So even though this short film looks idyllic. It was for wildlife. But lots of people still didn’t have inside toilets or even inside bathrooms and some didn’t have those facilities until the early 1970’s. In the area of Gateshead where I live. Also large parts or rural England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland where not connected to the UK Electric Grid and had to rely on using generators for there electricity.

Regards,

Ian.

• I remember visiting my great grandparents near Windermere in the middle 1960s. The outside wooden shack with the loo. The stream with a (slippery) wooden bridge over it. Which I slipped from and nearly drowned myself. Probably my very earliest memory.

The last time I was in the deepest (wildest) parts of Northumberland (in the 21st C) I stayed at a remote place which was using a generator for electricity.