Let me introduce

Gloria

https://paintedsnipe.com.au/2023/10/24/the-journey-begins-introducing-gloria/

A project I have a small interest in.

Ooh - the markings on the plumage.

• A stunning little bird. Are you one of the people pictured?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I read about this when posted on weekly chat thread by AQ ... what is your interest in this bird Tuwit?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Its conservation status.

"Conservation Status: Globally Endangered (IUCN) and Nationally Endangered (EPBC). A National Recovery Plan was launched in March, 2023. When its status is combined with its evolutionary distinctiveness, the species is ranked 29th for global bird conservation priority."

A general lack of knowledge of migration paths

"Movements: Poorly known but the species is clearly dynamic and highly mobile. Responds to flooding of ephemeral inland wetlands, but vanishes for years from key sites even when suitable habitat is available. Only rarely recorded in south-eastern Australia in winter, suggesting possible north-south migration in eastern Australia."

Gaining more knowledge is part of providing improved protection/conservation initiatives for them.

(I've a general interest in migration paths and human-led developments impacting on successful migration. Don't get me started on Saemangeum. The impact on bird species that used to use the estuary is still part of ongoing research IIRC. Used to be used by the spoon-billed sandpiper, the only bird in the world that hatches with a spatulate bill.)

www.birdskorea.org/.../BK-HA-Saemangeum-Mainpage.shtml
  • I don't live in Aus. Too many air miles for a flying visit.
  • An ongoing horror story!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Why do I have those interests?

To have as much science/evidence behind me when I have to write to my MP about (brain-dead) ideas like Boris Island. Wetlands and estuaries are the pit-stops, motorway service stations, of migrating waders (and other birds).

Helping other projects along the way is a very big added bonus. (Well, to me, anyways).

When this project started BirdLife Australia had 12,000 members. Nowhere near as strong as the RSPB.

And (in part) it was reciprocal. The work in the UK on waders and migration generally was a huge part of the
    inspiration.