Adult RSPB Membership Cards from September 2023 will have to be scanned where an admission charge or at a RSPB Pay and Display Car Park!

As in the title above. Details below! There will be a gradual launch from September 2023. I knew this was a possibility as I emailed the RSPB around 6 years. The RSPB management said it could take up to 5 years for this to happen. And it has taken slightly longer.

Regards,

Ian.

• I have no problem with membership card scanning.

The National Trust have used scanning for a few years now. From a customer perspective it's issue free in car parks.

regards

John

• I’ve already mentioned that. Also the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust which I’m a member of as well, have had membership cards that have been scanned for at least 20 years at Wildfowl Trust reserves and possibly much longer at the all the Wildfowl Trust reserves. and decades before the National Trust ever had membership cards that have to be scanned now!

Regards,

Ian.

• Unknown said:

I’ve already mentioned that. Also the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust which I’m a member of as well, have had membership cards that have been scanned for at least 20 years at Wildfowl Trust reserves and possibly much longer at the all the Wildfowl Trust reserves. and decades before the National Trust ever had membership cards that have to be scanned now!

WWT Slimbridge have had scannable membership cards since at least 2011 when I joined when I retired. That was solely for entrance to the park itself - entrance to the car park was always free with no fee system whatsoever.

• WWT reserve don’t have any Pay and Display Car Parks. The scanning of Membership was happening well before 2010.The only payment at WWT reserves are admission charges! I also know that as well! The WWT car parks all free at all WWT reserves. But also I wasn’t talking about parking. I was talking in general that WWT had scanning of membership cards well before any other large wildlife conservation charity in the UK.

Regards,

Ian.

• Agreed. I've been a member of WWT for years and am fine with scanning the card. I'm also fine with RSPB rolling it out. I still believe it'll be large reserves, and even though smaller reserves may get scanning devices, because it'll be optional and no charging anyway, I am not sure the cost can be justified at those....but that's probably years away.
  • Unknown said:

WWT reserve don’t have any Pay and Display Car Parks. The scanning of Membership was happening well before 2010.The only payment at WWT reserves are admission charges! I also know that as well! The WWT car parks all free at all WWT reserves. But also I wasn’t talking about parking. I was talking in general that WWT had scanning of membership cards well before any other large wildlife conservation charity in the UK.

Your initial post talks about admission charges and pay and display car parks.

• My initial post was about the RSPB as well as the National Trust, not WWT..

Regards,

Ian.