Bird spikes

My neighbour has attached Bird spikes to the top of my fence ( I put the fence up 6 years ago cost £1700) I needed a fence to contain my dog.
Can they actually do this ? No one has asked my permission. It's on the fence right next to my bird feeders as well.
I only discovered this today. I am furious.
What can I do to legally remove it.
The neighbour is aggressive

• One thing I would consider is, it your fence? A lot of people get the idea that a fence on one side of their garden is theirs and one one on the other side belongs to a neighbour. On my deeds, the fence between the gardens is classed as 'joint & several', meaning jointly owned. When the fence needed replacing the man next door and I paid half each, and he kindly put the panels in when I was on holiday - which was a nice surprise when I came home. If the deeds show that it is completely yours, I would say he can't put anything on it, but if jointly owned I don't know. The fact that you paid for it, is just a kind gesture on your part if it is jointly owned, it wouln't make it 'yours' ... only a layman's opinion ... Relaxed

There's an article here knight-fencing.co.uk/.../Fencing-and-boundary-guide.pdf
    (Sorry, can't access 'rich formatting this morning to provide a proper link)

It says that you can paint, stain or varnish, but anything else requires permission, otherwise it is criminal damage.

• Oh, messy.

The article link provided is very good and is pretty much the law.

There is a but.

I had a problem a long time ago, the wind took the aged and rotten fence, so the intention was to put something more to our liking and within our budget, with being not long married and new home owners at the time. This is where you need to read in detail your Title Deeds, the neighbour objected as the work had begun. After a lengthy sessions with solicitors, it was finally deemed in my favour, but at a cost, only because I hadn't checked what type of boundary I was permitted to use.

The law has changed since then, but the advice is to read the Title Deeds carefully, particularly if it is an old property.

regards

John

• It can get messier than that. The boundary can be declared as being under the ownership of one party (in the deeds of the property/land).

The party on the other side thinks otherwise.

I'm not talking fence panels, I'm talking dry stone walling. Tons of the stuff.

(One of the reasons I have a rather sore place when it comes to farmers and some of their attitudes).
  • My neighbour put bird spikes on my fence but I just laughed cos he selected the short rubber ones which the birds simply perched on!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• The fence is mind bought and paid for.
    The fencing man drew a line with string to indicate the boundry line and my fence was constructed this side of that line on my land.
    The neighbour offered no money as there keen to have a fence as their dog used our garden as a toilet!
    They paid nothing.
    The deeds say nothing about any boundry fence
  • Sounds like you need a lawyer then rather than a member of the community forum!
    I certainly wouldn't offer any money unless I was "asked" to half in for a fence.
    I take it you did inform the neighbours prior to the fence being erected ?

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Mines done exact same Wendy...if you can remember lol

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Our neighbours also put those long metal spikes on top of the fence without telling us cause apparently the pigeons sat on it and pooed down it which they didn't, they also recently have put a bird scarer kite thingy on an extendable fishing line in the back garden, it should be 200 metres away from another property(ours) but it isn't.
  • They were asked and were happy about it. But fence man put the.fence our side of the boundary 

• I was told the cost would bd greater than that of the cost of the fence.

My husband had a meltdown and blamed me for stirring up trouble!!!  We are now divorcing over  the lack of support I received from him and subseqent aggression (abuse)