Moon Phases, Moon Names & Celestial Events 2023; Share your photos here of the various moon phases

A couple of forum mates have asked about a moon thread again, which didn't appear last year.

For those interested, the following dates and times, along with info about the full moon names, is based on the Midlands to try and give a general idea of when to see the moon in its various phases

It is important to note various parts of Britain will differ with regards to the actual moon phase times.

There are many websites where you can obtain the moon phase times for your location, and that includes many meteorological sites, and tide time tables. For the following information I used the TimeandDate website.

Full Moon Names, dates and times; Northern Hemisphere, the Midlands area, Britain

Moon Phases 2023

New Moon

First Quarter

Full Moon

Third Quarter

Fri 06 Jan

23:07

Sun 15 Jan

02:10

Sat 21 Jan

20:53

Sat 28 Jan

15:18

Sun 05 Feb

18:28

Mon 13 Feb

16:00

Mon 20 Feb

07:05

Mon 27 Feb

08:05

Tue 07 Mar

12:40

Wed 15 Mar

02:08

Tue 21 Mar

17:23

Wed 29 Mar

03:32

Thu 06 Apr

05:34

Thu 13 Apr

10:11

Thu 20 Apr

05:12

Thu 27 Apr

22:19

Fri 05 May

18:34

Fri 12 May

15:28

Fri 19 May

16:53

Sat 27 May

16:22

Sun 04 Jun

04:41

Sat 10 Jun

20:31

Sun 18 Jun

05:37

Mon 26 Jun

08:49

Mon 03 Jul

12:38

Mon 10 Jul

02:47

Mon 17 Jul

19:31

Tue 25 Jul

23:06

Tue 01 Aug

19:31

Tue 08 Aug

11:28

Wed 16 Aug

10:38

Thu 24 Aug

10:57

Thu 31 Aug

02:35

Wed 06 Sep

23:21

Fri 15 Sep

02:39

Fri 22 Sep

20:31

Fri 29 Sep

10:57

Fri 06 Oct

14:47

Sat 14 Oct

18:55

Sun 22 Oct

04:29

Sat 28 Oct

21:24

Sun 05 Nov

08:36

Mon 13 Nov

09:27

Mon 20 Nov

10:49

Mon 27 Nov

09:16

Tue 05 Dec

05:49

Tue 12 Dec

23:32

Tue 19 Dec

18:39

Wed 27 Dec

00:33

January: Wolf Moon  Fri 06 Jan         23:07

The January Full Moon is often called the Wolf Moon from the howling of hungry wolves in the winter. This name is thought to have a Celtic and Old English origin, and that European settlers brought it to North America.

Other Celtic names include Stay Home Moon and Quiet Moon. Moon After Yule is an Anglo-Saxon version, referring to the pre-Christian Yule (or Juul) celebrations around the winter solstice. Native American names are Severe Moon and Centre Moon.

February: Snow Moon           Sun 05 Feb      18:28

The Snow Moon in February is aptly named after abundant snowfall. Some North American tribes called it the Hungry Moon due to the scarce food sources during mid-winter, while others named it Bear Moon to refer to when bear cubs are born. Storm Moon, Ice Moon, and Snow Moon were common Celtic and Old English names.

March: Worm Moon  Tue 07 Mar     12:40

The last Full Moon of the winter season in March is the Worm Moon because of the earthworms that come out when the soil warms up. Native American tribes called it the Crow Moon for the crows coming back, Snow Crust Moon, and Sap and Sugar Moon for when the maple sap runs.

The Anglo-Saxons called it Lenten Moon after the Germanic Lenten for spring. The Celts called it the Wind Moon and Plough Moon. In Old English, it was known as the Death Moon and the Chaste Moon referring to the purity of the spring season.

April: Pink Moon        Thu 06 Apr      05:34

The April Full Moon is known as the Pink Moon, from the pink phlox wildflowers that bloom in North America in the early spring. The Native American names referred to the spring thaws and the return of growth, including Breaking Ice Moon and The Moon of the Red Grass Appearing.

Common names in Europe also referred to the budding and birth of spring: The Anglo-Saxons called it Egg Moon, the Celts had names like Budding Moon, New Shoots Moon, Seed Moon, and Growing Moon. A Neo-Pagan name is Awakening Moon.

The April Full Moon can also be the Paschal Moon, which is used to calculate the date for Easter.

Both the April and May Full Moon have a name that refers to the budding spring.

May: Flower Moon    Fri 05 May       18:34

The Full Flower Moon in May describes all the flowers blooming in spring.

Native Americans called it Budding Moon, Egg Laying Moon, and Planting Moon. The Anglo-Saxon name is Milk Moon, while the Celtic and Old English names are Mothers’ Moon, Bright Moon, Hare Moon, and Grass Moon.

June: Strawberry Moon        Sun 04 Jun       04:41

June’s Full Moon is the Strawberry Moon as the little red berries ripen at this time and could be gathered by the Native American tribes. Other native names are Berries Ripen Moon, Green Corn Moon, and Hot Moon.

The Celtic names are Mead Moon, Horse Moon, Dyan Moon, and Rose Moon. Other English names are Flower Moon and Planting Moon.

July: Buck Moon         Mon 03 Jul      12:38

In July, the Full Moon is called Buck Moon to signify the new antlers that emerge on deer buck’s foreheads around this time. Other Native American tribes call it Salmon Moon, Raspberry Moon, and Thunder Moon.

In Celtic, this Moon was known as the Claiming Moon, Wyrt Moon, Herb Moon, and Mead Moon. The Anglo-Saxons called it the Hay Moon.

August: Sturgeon Moon        Tue 01 Aug      19:31

August has the Full Sturgeon Moon because of the large numbers of lake sturgeon in the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain. The fish was essential for Native American tribes in the area.

The Celts called it Dispute Moon and Lynx Moon, and the Anglo-Saxons the Grain Moon. Other English names include Corn Moon and Lightning Moon.

August; Blue Moon    Thu 31 Aug      02:35

But because the lunar month is shorter than the month in a solar or tropical year, every two to three years, there is an extra Full Moon in a year. This Moon is known as a Blue Moon because it hasn’t got a name like the other 12 Full Moons of the year.

September or October: Harvest Moon         Fri 29 Sep        10:57

Technically, the Harvest Moon is the Full Moon closest to the September equinox around September 22. The Harvest Moon is the only Full Moon name determined by the equinox rather than a month. Most years, it’s in September, but around every three years, it falls in October.

September: Corn Moon

In September, the Full Moon is the Corn Moon from the Native American tribes harvesting their corn. It can also be the Harvest Moon, which corresponds with the Anglo-Saxon name, while Celtic and Old English names are Wine Moon, Song Moon, and Barley Moon.

October: Hunter’s Moon       Sat 28 Oct       21:24

Traditionally, people in the Northern Hemisphere spent October preparing for the coming winter by hunting, slaughtering, and preserving meats, giving it its Anglo-Saxon name Hunter’s Moon. Every three years, the Hunter’s Moon is the Harvest Moon.

Native Americans named this Full Moon after fall, including Drying Rice Moon, Falling Leaves Moon, and Freezing Moon. The Celts used Seed Fall Moon to describe this. Also, the Pagan Blood Moon or Sanguine Moon is used for this Full Moon. However, this should not be confused with a total lunar eclipse, a Blood Moon.

November: Beaver Moon      Mon 27 Nov    09:16

The Full Moon in November is named after beavers who can be seen preparing for the winter. Native Americans also called it the Frost Moon and Freezing Moon. In Celtic tradition, it is also called the Mourning Moon and the Darkest Depths Moon.

December: Cold Moon          Wed 27 Dec    00:33

In December, winter begins for most people in the Northern Hemisphere. The December Full Moon is called the Cold Moon.

The Old English and Anglo-Saxon names are the Moon Before Yule or the Long Night Moon, referring to the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere: the December solstice. The Celts called it the Oak Moon or the Full Cold Moon.

Note: Because Full Moons have been given names in different parts of the world with different seasons and cultures, there are several alternative names making this an extensive but not exhaustive list. Overlap between the months may also happen as the Full Moon name was used to track the whole lunar month.

The Full Moon names used today refer to the seasons in the Northern Hemisphere, so it doesn’t work to flip the names to fit the calendar in the Southern Hemisphere. As far as our research goes, Full Moon names are not common in Australia and New Zealand.

However, like the Native Americans, Māoris have their lunar calendar. It’s called the maramataka and starts in May. Each month has a name that refers to the season: Pipiri, Hongonui, Here-turi-kōkā, Mahuru, Whiringa-ā-nuku, Whiringa-ā-rangi, Hakihea, Kohi-tātea, Hui-tanguru, Poutū-te-rangi, Paenga-whāwhā, and Haratua.

Full Moon Names in Other Cultures

In Japan, the name tsukumi literally means “looking at the Moon” but is commonly used to name the tradition of viewing the Harvest Moon. Koreans call it chuseok, and it is similar to the Mid-Autumn Festival in China.

In Sri Lanka, the Full Moon is called Poya and each Moon has its own name and a dedicated holiday. Listed here in the order January-December: Duruthu Poya, Navam Poya, Madin Poya, Bak Poya, Vesak Poya, Poson Poya, Esala Poya, Nikini Poya, Binara Poya, Vap Poya, Ill Poya, and Unduvap Poya.

13th Full Moon in a Year

The time the Moon takes to orbit Earth is around 29.5 days and is called a lunar month, giving us about 12 Full Moons a year.

But because the lunar month is shorter than the month in a solar or tropical year, every two to three years, there is an extra Full Moon in a year. This Moon is known as a Blue Moon because it hasn’t got a name like the other 12 Full Moons of the year.

• Thank you for the list Mike. I don't remember having a full moon on my birthday before must have done but don't think I paid attention

Cin J

• Thanks Mike much appreciated ;-)
    So C your birthday is on 1 of 13 dates! lol ;-)...might be tomorrow ? Lol

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• I'm off to howl at the moon Linda ;) (Edited)

Cin J

• Hope it's dry for you ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• www.timeanddate.com/.../2023
    Also for anyone that might want to travel to see any of the Solar or Lunar Eclipses in 2023. Here are the detail of those Eclipse in 2023. Alsothis year one of the two solar eclipses in 2023 is a relatively rare type of Solar Eclipse called a Hybrid Solar Eclipse. Which means that along the central line of the eclipse will mean, some arias along the central of the Solar Eclipse will be Total and some arias will be an Annular Eclipse.. A Hybrid Solar Eclipse happens approx every 10 years.

Regards,

Ian.

• Unknown said:

www.timeanddate.com/.../2023
    Also for anyone that might want to travel to see any of the Solar or Lunar Eclipses in 2023. Here are the detail of those Eclipse in 2023. Alsothis year one of the two solar eclipses in 2023 is a relatively rare type of Solar Eclipse called a Hybrid Solar Eclipse. Which means that along the central line of the eclipse will mean, some arias along the central of the Solar Eclipse will be Total and some arias will be an Annular Eclipse.. A Hybrid Solar Eclipse happens approx every 10 years.

You're all welcome.

Ian, many thanks for pointing that out. There's a lot of useful info on that site, along with other sites, and I did think when I first set it up, I might have be a little tame with the title.....

• While I appreciate this is a nature based forum, and not an astrological one, nature is often impacted by celestial activity, albeit often very minor. However, our weather is greatly affected by celestial activity among many other events.

I've observed the weather over many decades, often successfully planning my camping and walking activities around these observations, and it has shown many interesting moments and interesting phases/cycles to my very limited understanding, and it is extremely limited.

Not just with celestial events, but also pagan (which often became deemed as witchcraft) and historic observations when studied, show some very interesting connections.

So I felt it might be wiser to change the title to include some of these events and I hope no one objects. If there are any objections, I can easily revert back to the original title.

The new title is: Moon Phases, Moon Names & Celestial Events 2023; Share your photos here of the various moon phases

• In 2024 there will be another Total Solar Eclipse across the USA just as in 2017, although not exclusively in the USA as it was in 2017. The line of Totality will be in a completely different area’s as it was in 2017. Except in one small area in the USA which will have it’s second Total Solar Eclipse within a 7 year period. Although that will be most unusual, that is not unheard off. This explains all. I’ve had to post the article in four individual photo as the link wouldn’t work.

Regards,

Ian.

• Another interesting future Solar Eclipse in the year 2186 which will be the longest Total Solar Eclipse for more than 10,000 years where the period of Totality will last 7 minutes 29 seconds at maximum Totality. The reason the 2186 Total Sola Eclipse will last so long is explained above. That is towards the end of the 22nd century. The longest possible length of Totality of a Total Solar Eclipse  is 7 minutes 32/33 seconds in length. 

Regards,

Ian.

• https://youtu.be/3O1foVF1QFo
    I was lucky enough to see the 1999 Total Solar Eclipse and not in Cornwall but in Austria where I had a complete clear Sky. For anyone who has never seen a Total Solar Eclipse, if you ever have the chance to see a Total Solar Eclipse, try to see such an eclipse, as i would say just as Patrick Moore would say as well, it’s the most amazing sight in nature. The link above shows what it is like to see such an eclipse as in the link above where you can see the Moons shadow approaching. Also look at the horizon with clear Sky’s. All the way around you get what looks like a 360 sunset all the way around. That is where the area’s that are not in the area of totality as the Total Solar Eclipse is only a very narrow width normally 60 miles either side, although the width from either side can be larger on rare occasions.

Regards,

Ian.