Moving to Mirrorless

Well, I've finally done it, and ordered a new Canon R5.

Some of you may have seen my comments about looking into new cameras and gear in another post, A couple of days by the River Deben in Suffolk, and my apologies to Dave for the unintended hijack so I've set up a new thread to keep folks updated.

To continue from my comments, as many of you will be aware, I've been grounded by my falling apart body, but i've nothing but praise for the nurses, consultants, doctors and anyone else involved it working hard to resolve the situation.

We've all heard the old saying, the devil makes work for idle hands, well, include computer and mouse into that, and I've been researching into mirrorless cameras, which is the future, whether we like it or not.

Me, I'm intrigued and like the concept, but not the costs.....

Why the Canon R5?

Well, first and foremost, my son said go for it!

Some of you may be aware his partner walked out on him eighteen months ago, which almost rendered him homeless. While we would happily have taken him back, after a chat with my wife, his mother, I gave him a large chunk of my savings and agreed to be guarantor for his mortgage. I never gave any repayment terms, but he did ask how much, and has transferred some of the money back to me, enough to cover the R5.

I've been using Canon cameras for many decades, and I feel they are on a par with Nikon and the other big brand names, the only problem is, if you change to another brand, then you need to change all your lenses and other associated kit as well.

My research started with the cost of upgrading and also, many camera manufacturers also offer conversion kits, or adapters, so you can use your existing lenses on the new breed of cameras.

Also, my research shown that could I use my existing lenses, the cable and wireless remotes would work, so will the Speedlite flashgun. The only extra items required are the lens mount adaptor, and the memory cards, which are still the existing SD Card, or, the faster and more capable CF Express card, whereas  the 5D4 will use a Compact Flash card.

Also, the battery pack for the R5 is the same is the 5D4, which I understand is the same as the 5D3.

This appealed.

However, the cost was still going to be steep.

My local postie, who we had for 20+ years, a very friendly chap, I never realised he did wedding photography, and offered to show me his cameras, which are Nikon, and how he managed to make the change to mirrorless.

We both agreed, Nikon, Canon or any of the other big names, you can't really go wrong.

After a very interesting three hours and numerous cuppas, and some time handling his cameras in the garden, and to play safe, I sat down to use them rather than stand and risk falling or dropping them, I was nicely impressed with what I saw.

There are some trade offs and caveats with electronic view vs live view, but I'm not one to be negative. Obstacles are there to be beaten, not beat you.

The one big downside, if it is a downside, is video. The final quality is good, however, when panning a moving subject, there is a noticeable lag. But then I don't do much video, and to be honest, my current 5D4 has some lag, because that in video mode uses the large TTF screen and not the optical viewer, which is live view.

I said obstacles are to be beaten, not beat you.

The video quality is superb, and a bigger plus, the electronic viewfinder shows the same as the large TTF screen, but the big bonus with the EVF, is you block out all the viewing intrusions that using a TTF screen came impose.

There will be more to this no doubt, as I start a new journey mirrorless, and I will be happy to share.

However, it is costly, and to make things more costly than desired, my nearest emporium haven't stock of the R5, so I've had to order from elsewhere, and not being able to go far, that means no trade in of my 5D4, which if I'm honest, I am reluctant to part with.

The new camera is on order, and should be with me in the next couple of days, all I need  is for my leg to sort itself out.

• Just a brief update regarding the eye detect AF... I've been out a couple times, and have found that if there is reflective water the eye detect seems to prefer the reflected image to focus on. I haven't worked out why, unless it's because my initial aim is too low and if I was on the actual bird before attempting to acquire focus that would be more successful.
    Also, I was aiming fair and square at a grey wagtail, but the AF preferred the brighter green of the weeds on the rock it was standing on. That's probably due to the bird and the water being similar in colour so the contrast detection was drawn to the rock as it was a bigger contrast. I'll do a couple of posts of where I've been to show the images

Edit: Despite those foibles it is bleedin brilliant!!

• PimperneBloke said:

Just a brief update regarding the eye detect AF... I've been out a couple times, and have found that if there is reflective water the eye detect seems to prefer the reflected image to focus on. I haven't worked out why, unless it's because my initial aim is too low and if I was on the actual bird before attempting to acquire focus that would be more successful.
    Also, I was aiming fair and square at a grey wagtail, but the AF preferred the brighter green of the weeds on the rock it was standing on. That's probably due to the bird and the water being similar in colour so the contrast detection was drawn to the rock as it was a bigger contrast. I'll do a couple of posts of where I've been to show the images

Edit: Despite those foibles it is bleedin brilliant!!

You may have answered your own question without realising it.

I have the same problem with the R5, and a fellow wildlife photographer did explain the temperature of light and colour (he might as well have thrown a frisby over my head), but it did make some sense, the brilliance of the water vs the plumage of birds....

Whatever, that new camera is doing you proud. 

regards

John

• Example of the eye tracking on the Z8, nothing exciting, pigeon dropping off the wall in the garden. In the uncropped versions it moved right across the image as I didn't keep up very well. Also, I've dialled it down from 20 frames per second to 10, as I really can't be ar**d to go through that many images lol

• For Canon fans: Park Cameras currently have the R6 with a £400 saving if anyone is considering one...
  • I've lost touch a bit with this thread (and a few others whilst on a sabbatical), but a quick glance and it's good to see others have been using it for what it was intended, progressing to mirrorless.

A quick couple of updates, with my R5 I've pushed the boat out and tried video, and very successful it has been, even using the eye and vehicle tracking with the appropriate subjects.

My biggest pet hate is the fact that when recording video on many DSLR's you don't have the option to use the EVF. That is not the case with the R5, you can use either as you chose, and I guess also with the R3. I'm sure Bob can confirm if I'm right on that.

In other news, it's good to see the rolling shutter issue has been discussed.

While at my local reserve yesterday (a sunny Saturday), I heard that the R5 is due for a MkII next year, and one of the key issues to be resolved is the rolling shutter problem, bringing it to the same standard as the R3. But it is only talk, and I wait to see.....

• All mirrorless bodies should be fine videoing through the viewfinder - it's an inherent part of the way they work with an internal screen rather than an optical path from the lens to your eyeball which gets interrupted when you wish to record something.

Re rolling shutter - all mirrorless suffer to a greater or lesser extent (except anything with a global shutter, though they suffer other issues). The R3 will be better than the R5 regardless of any advance in technology as it has a smaller sensor - fewer pixels, less data, less visible rolling shutter. It's seldom an issue with stills (you can simply change the shutter mode to avoid it) & videographers are generally aware of situations where it might be displayed so they can minimise the effects. It's pretty much expected that any new generation sensor will improve it, but it's seldom a problem in real life (it's like the "R5 overheating" issue Youtubers were getting hysterical about when the R5 first came out - an Internet Warrior storm stirred up to get clicks & views!)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Michael B said:

I've lost touch a bit with this thread (and a few others whilst on a sabbatical), but a quick glance and it's good to see others have been using it for what it was intended, progressing to mirrorless.

A quick couple of updates, with my R5 I've pushed the boat out and tried video, and very successful it has been, even using the eye and vehicle tracking with the appropriate subjects.

My biggest pet hate is the fact that when recording video on many DSLR's you don't have the option to use the EVF. That is not the case with the R5, you can use either as you chose, and I guess also with the R3. I'm sure Bob can confirm if I'm right on that.

While at my local reserve yesterday (a sunny Saturday), I heard that the R5 is due for a MkII next year, and one of the key issues to be resolved is the rolling shutter problem, bringing it to the same standard as the R3. But it is only talk, and I wait to see.....

****************************************************************************************************************************************

I can confirm that for you Mike, though  Whistling Joe has explained why. It is a game changer though knowing that you can flick to video anytime you want with the bonus of super quality and being able to record in slow motion. So I do a fair bit of behaviour videoing now if I can.

• Unknown said:

All mirrorless bodies should be fine videoing through the viewfinder - it's an inherent part of the way they work with an internal screen rather than an optical path from the lens to your eyeball which gets interrupted when you wish to record something.

Re rolling shutter - all mirrorless suffer to a greater or lesser extent (except anything with a global shutter, though they suffer other issues). The R3 will be better than the R5 regardless of any advance in technology as it has a smaller sensor - fewer pixels, less data, less visible rolling shutter. It's seldom an issue with stills (you can simply change the shutter mode to avoid it) & videographers are generally aware of situations where it might be displayed so they can minimise the effects. It's pretty much expected that any new generation sensor will improve it, but it's seldom a problem in real life (it's like the "R5 overheating" issue Youtubers were getting hysterical about when the R5 first came out - an Internet Warrior storm stirred up to get clicks & views!)

Many thanks WJ.

It goes without saying, the R3 should be a more refined camera.

As yet, I've not experienced the rolling shutter issue, but there's always a first time Wink

• Bobs_Retired said:

Michael B said:

I've lost touch a bit with this thread (and a few others whilst on a sabbatical), but a quick glance and it's good to see others have been using it for what it was intended, progressing to mirrorless.

****************************************************************************************************************************************

I can confirm that for you Mike, though  Whistling Joe has explained why. It is a game changer though knowing that you can flick to video anytime you want with the bonus of super quality and being able to record in slow motion. So I do a fair bit of behaviour videoing now if I can.

Thanks Bob.

There is another bonus, no longer is there the need to carry a dedicated video recording equipment. I do have a dedicated camcorder which gives the option of EVF or screen to view and record. That is now potentially redundant.

I detest light pollution (to coin a phrase) when trying to concentrate on a subject to photo or video.