Protection of the Herring Gull.

How can we justify the protection of this species where/when they nest 'too close' to an urban population for their own security?

'OK'! I blame the fisheries (fishermen) for leading herring gulls to our ports and land regions, but the fact that we protect this species means that we also 'protect' the 'species' without condition.

I'm currently faced with a ground 'nest' at my front door. That's OK in that I don't need to use this  means of transit as I have a 'side door' that I can use. However, that ingress/exit takes me within 4ft of the ground nest which also invokes an 'aggressive attitude' from the 'parenting/nesting couple' for this ground-space. I avoid this 'agression' by feeding the couple with an acceptable form of food (white fish) at an optimal time during their occupation.  I should 'not' need to do this to safely enter/exit my home! These raptors can inflict injury that may induce a bacterial/viral infection where/when a 'broken skin' scenario evolves from a confrontational encounter, so how are they not 'vermin' in this scenario?

That said, this nesting couple isn't likely to be sucsesful in their endeavour to procreate due to the local population of urban fox.

How can anyone manage this scenario without the implication of the £2,000 fine for nesting disruption, or the added cost/inconvenience of cohabitation with this species. Many of us can't afford to 'live' with this 'inconvenience'.

Kind regards, Ray.

• Herring gulls normaly nest on roofs so I don’t think this is a very common problom which should be a relief. It says May and June and gulls tend to be more territorial during There nesting season when nesting and defend there nest from people if they go near there nest site and they protect it and there eggs from predators so that includes animals aswell 

I don’t know if there there all the time or just most of the time but after the Young have left the nest they should leave you alone. For what to do in the meantime I do have a helpful link 

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/gardening-for-wildlife/animal-deterrents/gulls/urban-gulls-and-the-law/

• The law involving gulls like other parts of wildlife law it’s not straight forward and can be complex. As a last resort action can be taken. Each complaint is taken on a case by case and is not straight forward. I’m just stating what the present law is. I take a pragmatic approach to wildlife conservation  and I don’t  get over sentimental. Complaints about Herring Gulls are taken on a case by case sinario. But as I said I never get over sentimental about certain parts of conservation. In some cases in exceptional circumstances, even by wildlife UK Conservation organisations, have at times at times have had to humanely cull. Such as at Leighton Moss. The Deer have damaged the Reeds in the past and in those circumstances have had to be controlled. In the distant past Grey Seal had to be humanely culled on the Farne Islands to protect some of the rarer birds by the National Trust. At Minsmere the Gull colonies on the scrape at Minsmere where taken over with the Avocets at risk and other birds affected as well. So the RSPB have put in the past put something put  into the eggs to be made infertile to keep the gull population down to a reasonable level. And that has to be done at times. And sadly I agree with that!

• I forgot to send this for anyone who might not of seen the thread about the issue as me and Seaman. but this is the thread that has some details of the situation also.  he did contact the RSPB to ask how to go about it

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/photography/279435/herring-gull/1391167#pifragment-4285=1

• Dart ray would it be ok to send a photo of the gull on your doorstep cause I think that might also be helpful?
  • Oops, it would seem that I posted a blank page. Sorry for my lack of understanding of the format and systems on this site.

Thanks to all here that have advised me on this subject, but I think I'm going to let this situation come to its natural conclusion. However - - -!

The first chick hatched today (06/06/2022) and the male parent is decidedly more aggressive. He swooped against a neighbour, clutched their shoulder then 'backed off', that he knew and is familiar with him. Then just sat on their front wall looking perplexed. I need to offer a history for better understanding of this male bird in particular.

The male of the couple (nickname 'Whistler') is about 5yrs old and was the 'runt' of the clutch, Forced from his birth nest and shunned by the local Gull 'society'. A neighbour (human and the attacked neighbour) took him to heart, fed him, and he's lived on their front garden wall to this day. He was about 3yrs old before he lost his 'whistle' and could 'skwak' like an adult, thus a Gull with a 'speech impediment', at least (if not a mental problem), His 'body profile' seems more 'slender' than both other Gulls of his age and his female mate. Would this 'slightness' indicate in any way the 'mental state' of a Gull??? Perhaps not.
    Moreover, these Herring Gulls have a lifespan of about 20yrs and return (like Stalks) to the their nesting site for reunification with their lifetime mates. The Urbane Herring Gull has become a 20yr problem for reclamation of habitat within a human and hostile environment when 'ground nesting'. I expect 'Whistler' to be here, with his mate, for another 15yrs. This isn't a 'slight problem', it's a 'should I move house' problem.

Zo Clark.
    Thanks for your massive input and help. However, DartRay is my 'login' and I don't know how this has become my 'sig'. Please address me as 'Ray Dart', or 'Ray', in our communications in the future. Thank you in advance.

"Dart ray would it be ok to send a photo of the gull on your doorstep cause I think that might also be helpful?"

I'll get to this as soon as I can. I'll also try to photo other situations that cover my attempts to alienate/ameliorate human and Herring Gull contact. I'm not sure whether this will be sucsesful or not until it's finalised.
    If you want 'wild' against 'tame', I choose 'wild'.

There's a 'conundrum' there! I intended to 'sign off', but the 'sign off' gives me doubts. 'Whistler' may be the way to another way of life for the Herring Gull's society'. However, it looks like more of the same.
  • In my last post, please read "(like Stalks)" as "(like Cranes)".
  • That sounds like the best option. Good luck.
    By the way is the crane thing a poem or a story cause it sounds like a poem or a story?
  • Yes, but I've just discovered that I'm unable to transfer files from my phone to this Linux Box. I'll try later to a Windows Box.
    Kind regards, Ray.
  • It looks like I'll need to give a 'quote' from any question before I give a reply here. This is getting confusing.
    Kind regards, Ray.
  • Ok. Don’t worry if you don’t manage to get a picture though. That’s a good poem or story. And il try to remember to call you ray dart or ray when I use your name.