Leighton Moss Meet-up 2022

Hello everyone.  We are hoping to book our holiday cottage for our usual visit to Wales following the Leighton Moss meet-up so which week do folks prefer for meeting at LM--possibly the week of Friday 17 June to Friday 24 June or the week after that, Friday the 24 June to Friday 1 July in 2022?  As previously, we would only be at LM for parts of a few days in whichever week, and I expect some of you would do the same or be there for the whole week--up to you of course.  Please have a quick look at your calendars and post here--because the two weeks following those weeks are still available to book a cottage we like the look of in Wales, and we'd best book something quickly or miss out!  Hope to see everyone this year if possible, and a few new forumates joining us at LM for a meet-up for some of that time would be lovely, too.  Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards, Ann

• PimperneBloke said:
    50th anniversary tour. Awesome even tho they're all in their 70's lol

Aaaaaand.....

Much of their music was from the 70's Fearful  da daaarrr

Ok, I'l make my exit, quick and quite.... Now, where's my coat, oh yes, its in the car.... Grinning

• Unknown said:
    Safely arrived at our hotel not long after 6pm and hope to see other meet-up folks at LM mid to late morning tomorrow.

Enjoy your visit.  Thumbsup

• Saw these guys PB way back when they did a gig on a local base and as we helped out at the local folk club we got a couple of freebie tickets. Saw them on tv the other night they've still got it

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Evening folks, quick update but sorry no photos from me as camera gear stayed at home - which I still don't regret !!
    Today saw the arrival of Ann and Mr.Gardenbirder and also Gaynor who joined MC. Mike and I in the cafe this morning. 5 of us ventured down to Grisedale hide and were lucky enough to have an experienced birder in there who was doing a Bittern count that day :) There are not so many Bittern flights now ferrying food back to chicks as there was a week or two ago but we were thrilled to see a Bittern three times (maybe same one ) one flight fairly close in went straight across the whole length of the hide and it was breathtaking to see this magnificent bird with such striking plumage and large wingspan. The Marsh Harriers were active too and at one stage when we were down at Lilian's Hide we saw 2 adult males and either 2 juveniles and adult female - or 3 juveniles at the same time. One of the males carrying small prey headed down to the nest area to drop the food and two juveniles who had been perched in nearby bushes dived down to eat. It was a lovely day with forumate friends and only got caught in heavy downpour once ! Can't wait for tomorrow as we have a better idea where to look for bitterns !!

Regards, Hazel 

• Another fabulously sunny day with Gaynor, MC, Ann, Mr.GB, and Mike; plenty of birds around from Chiffchaff, Marsh Tit, Reed Warbler to other nice sightings of Marsh Harriers and whilst we were walking back to say farewell to MC the 3 amigos spotted Cuckoo, Hobby, Water Rail and Bittern !! It has been the most pleasant meet up with forum friends and take this opportunity to thank them for their wonderful company and the fabulous wildlife we saw, also the banter, laughs and walks together, can't wait to do it all again next year :) As you know, I have no photos for you this time but you may get to see lovely photos from MC and Gaynor at some stage. (no pressure. LOL ). Safe travel dear friends returning home today or in a day or two and thank you again :) it's been such a joy.

Regards, Hazel 

• It has taken a few hours to get through the many photographs that I took at LM during my visit. I will upload the photos as separate posts for each day, apart from this one, which will be Sunday 26th (when I only photographed Robins) and Monday 27th. I will post the other days tomorrow.

Some ID's will be required, so please add your suggestions...

Sunday 26th

'Tatty Robin' near the picnic area. Only 2 full tail feathers and moulting. Still defending territory from a juvenile.

Monday 27th

Juvenile Reed Warbler (possibly)

Another one requiring ID

Dozing off in the sunshine

ID please

On the pathway to the Grisedale Hide, I spotted a bird repeatedly going in and out of the reeds. I managed to get two incredibly dodgy photos.

It turns out that the bird in question was a Bearded Tit. It was going into the reed bed and then leaving with something in its beak, before flying 

across the path and into the reeds on the other side.

This is the uncropped version of the previous picture.

More tomorrow...

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Here's an uncropped photo of that fledgling Warbler. The photos were taken with the 600mm lens on full zoom from the top platform of the Sky Tower.

• Thanks for uploading some of your lovely photo captures Paul, it was so relaxing to get back on the reserve and meet up with forum friends and glad you were able to meet Ann and J again and also our lovely Gaynor for the first time. Glad you got plenty of robin time and caught up with those gorgeous warblers and took such fantastic photos. I guess there must be a good number of new bearded tits/reedlings as the activity, however briefly, showed numbers of them flitting back and forth across the pathway, once again you did well to catch them zipping across. Also love that inquisitive bunny where you can almost see straight through its ears. lol. Keep those pics coming when you get time and many thanks for making the effort to head up to LM.

Regards, Hazel 

• Tuesday 28th starting at the Saltmarsh

Breakfast is served

Three Avocets in the distance

It was very dull and overcast, so not ideal for photography, but this one is ok

Tatty Robin again

Another ID please

Marsh Tit

Juvenile Marsh Harrier leaving a message

• Wednesday 29th

Shrew on the Causeway path near the Causeway Hide. Can anyone give a more specific ID? A chap who was also there suggested that it might have been a Pygmy Shrew, but was not certain

Chiffchaff?

Could this be a Buzzard? I saw it from the Tower

BHG harassing juvenile Marsh Harrier