It's now Red 70.

I've just read that the swift, house martin, greenfinch and the Bewick's swan are now all on the UK Red List.  The only good news is that the white-tailed eagle has now moved to amber.  That'll irritate the bird killers.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I do think the long term perspective is important - a lot of these slides go back a long, long way but other than chemical pesticides the reasons are often very cotemporary. I'd strongly recommend the late Mike Shrubb's 'Birds Scythes and Combines' as a superb overview of how and why our wildlife has declined the way it has.

But there are winners and I was very interested to see that 4 out of the 6 'winners' listed by RSPB were connected to forests - the recovery of Nightjar and Woodlark is directly the result of clearfell habitat as the planted conifer forests matured from the 1980s onwards, whilst forests have helped Osprey and Red Kite - England's first breeding Osprey in Forestry England's Whinlatter Forest and the Northamptonshire Red Kite reintroduction using Forestry England woods as the release sites.
  • Oh, dear. I fear he has very little in common with posters on here.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• And my MP is Michael Gove....think they weigh votes here, too, possibly.

Kind regards, Ann

• tuwit said:
    As a person of zero-fame I suppose I just had to be a little more careful and thus never attracted the attention of law enforcement. No people were harmed.. Some locals may have had their 'enjoyment' curtailed.

Good for you!  I'll confess that if I went to Malta there are certain locals I'd want to hunt.  Literally.

• Clare Bailey said:
    Oh, dear. I fear he has very little in common with posters on here.

I think that applies to the vast majority of MP's from all parties.

Unless!

There's money in it.....

• Clare, we did go to Malta a few years back when I was younger and maybe dafter, I can assure you it was scary at times.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Malta is an absolute tragedy. It should be right up there in terms of places of interest I'd love to visit - its history is amazing. But when you read about the relentless slaughter of so many birds, and death threats to those people who work to protect said birds, then there's no way I could go somewhere like that.