Some thoughts on covid 19 restrictions

ASs some regulars may know I sometimes have a few health problems that at times restricts my access to the countryside so many of the restrictions that we have endured, and are still enduring, do not feel strange to Chris and myself. My immune system is pretty shot up at times so I'm quite good at avoiding numbers of people, I'm maybe not as anti social as it seems, and I've never been a lover of shopping unless its books. When we were recommended to shield in our own homes we actually realised we could walk the riverside fields with permission from the owners and had little chance of meeting anyone so we felt quite happy there. When restrictions eased we have four small nature reserves within a couple of miles of home with plenty of space to avoid close contact but still both watch birds and talk about birds with others doing the same, quite a little anti social bird club we are. There has been good birds aplenty and as winter has drawn closer the wintering Thrushes arrived we have been doing counts on them. One of our local reserves has got a wonderful Starling murmuration,60,000 birds at least, which we managed to social distance the grandsons to. We have found by visiting the busiest of the reserves late afternoon most birders have gone home and we enjoy the spectacle of birds going to roost. We do miss visiting our local moorland but they are outside the 3 mile radius we put on ourselves, they will still be there when all this is over and we settle down to our new normal. Because I am in that at risk category we seem to be swimming in hand sanitiser but Chris keeps an eye on what I get up to. I just hope other folk are coping as well as us and getting the support we have been getting, take care out there we will beat this lot somehow.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I'm not sure how many of you are up to speed with the latest news, but it seems there could be a threat to hides (and other indoor/enclosed areas) opening in the not too distant future with the spread of the Indian strain of Covid-19.

It seems the thoughts are the Indian variant is 50% more transmissible, 

I'm fearing my initial thoughts that this could last at least a couple of years, is getting too close for comfort.

Added to that, my GP surgery is pestering me to book a second jab, which is already booked when I booked my first, with guaranteed disabled access, not guaranteed with the options from my surgery....

• Hi

well they seem loathe to keep the airports closed to arrivals from certain countries- because apparently it's our right to travel abroad .

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Didn't someone once say "I wouldn't want to join a club that would have me as a member!"?

Yes -
    Groucho Marx said it at the Wath Ings, NorthRonaldsay and district amateur bird Spotters Club annual Sadie Hawkins and Tony Soper dinner dance and mushy peas evening.

but we let him in anyway :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Michael B said:
    Added to that, my GP surgery is pestering me to book a second jab, which is already booked when I booked my first, with guaranteed disabled access, not guaranteed with the options from my surgery....

Hope it's soon, Mike.  I had my second one this morning, at a sports centre in Ipswich.  That's us both done and dusted!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Congratulations on getting your second jab, Clare.

And Mike, I hope you have yours very soon.

Kind regards, Ann

• Hides in our area seemed to have opened this last Monday with some restrictions all except our nearest which has a time clock for the doors and it's bust !! parts stuck on a boat somewhere :(
    Strangely Mike with booking covid jabs our local gp's seem more efficient than the main NHS ones, The GP books us into local centres where the NHS wanted to book us into centres 40 miles plus away.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Now I've found the reverse with our GP, they seem very slow to react. However, when I had the letter from the NHS, both jabs were booked at the same time, the first was at the beginning of March, the second is next Friday.

But then I'm having issues with the practice, they're trying to change my leg dressings for cheaper ones (the grafted skin still ulcerates), which allow the fluids to oose out, which would result in daily washing of trousers, though generally I tend to wear shorts, because trousers are too tight around my swollen leg, but if I'm out anywhere, then long trousers it has to be, squeezing my leg in!

I often feel it would have been better to amputate, and I am aware of what amputees have to endure, having been with many whilst I was in hospital and also outpatient physio, and many ex-servicemen and women.

But it is what it is, and I'm moving on the best way I can, positively, and trying to keep out of trouble LOL.  

• Stick in there Mike

Pete

• Wendy S said:
    Stick in there Mike

I've not come this far for nothing. Wink