Some thoughts on covid 19 restrictions

ASs some regulars may know I sometimes have a few health problems that at times restricts my access to the countryside so many of the restrictions that we have endured, and are still enduring, do not feel strange to Chris and myself. My immune system is pretty shot up at times so I'm quite good at avoiding numbers of people, I'm maybe not as anti social as it seems, and I've never been a lover of shopping unless its books. When we were recommended to shield in our own homes we actually realised we could walk the riverside fields with permission from the owners and had little chance of meeting anyone so we felt quite happy there. When restrictions eased we have four small nature reserves within a couple of miles of home with plenty of space to avoid close contact but still both watch birds and talk about birds with others doing the same, quite a little anti social bird club we are. There has been good birds aplenty and as winter has drawn closer the wintering Thrushes arrived we have been doing counts on them. One of our local reserves has got a wonderful Starling murmuration,60,000 birds at least, which we managed to social distance the grandsons to. We have found by visiting the busiest of the reserves late afternoon most birders have gone home and we enjoy the spectacle of birds going to roost. We do miss visiting our local moorland but they are outside the 3 mile radius we put on ourselves, they will still be there when all this is over and we settle down to our new normal. Because I am in that at risk category we seem to be swimming in hand sanitiser but Chris keeps an eye on what I get up to. I just hope other folk are coping as well as us and getting the support we have been getting, take care out there we will beat this lot somehow.

• seymouraves said:
    guitars are like bins- they have to choose you- I always wanted a Takamine but they don't work for me- ( I played Yamahas and Ovations for decades) Tried a few Taylors and the same happens :(

Agreed.

I was looking for a parlour sized guitar, and although there weren’t too many options, a Taylor GS mini just felt right for me personally, so I bought one (which I still have).

This got me back into playing the acoustic after a number of years when I didn’t touch it.

I’m much more of a strummer rather than fingerstyle. When I decided on a new full sized guitar I tried lots of brands and models, Takamine, Yamaha, Gibson etc., but again, the Taylor just felt like home to me, maybe due to playing the GS mini for a few years.

I resisted going for a good Martin because the Tanglewood was already a Dreadnought, and I wanted a different body shape/sound profile.

Now I’d also like a good Martin, maybe a D28, or more likely a D18 as the Taylor has a Rosewood body, so maybe a change to Mahogany in the D18 would be refreshing.

I’ve played both, and the D18 sound is to my liking. I’d likely have to try them both side by side and do a few songs to see how it went. Won’t be for a while though …. If ever …, not the cheapest of instruments.

My friend also plays a Taylor (814ce) but his dream guitar (after trying various makes/models) is a Lowden, but again, the prices are frightening, even for an ‘entry level’ one.

I didn’t played acoustic much in a band situation, so never went down the road of looking for an acoustic amp or pedals.

If we’re playing live now with amplification, it’s either just two of us with acoustic guitars, or just me on my own. I just stick a mic in front of the guitar and put it through the desk.

A smidgen of reverb thrown in, and away we go. :-)

• Wendy S said:
    I play uke and banjo uke nowadays teaching grandsons

guitars just seem hard to hold

I also have a few other instruments, Banjo, Uke, Mandolins, and even a fiddle, but they rarely if ever come off the wall where they hang. I always pick up the guitar instead, maybe just a comfort zone thing. :-)

• I think you are right about comfort zone Paul, I bough a used flamenco guitar years ago in Spain, well battered by the previous owner and it has recently become my go to guitar,well worth the hassle of getting it home
  • I've done my duty for queen and country, and had my first jab, the AstraZeneca for those interested.

They had run out of disabled parking bays, so the car park attendant made sure no one parked along side my car while I was in. A perfect welcome and support from all the staff, and I've dropped them an email to note my gratitude for the car park attendants 100%+ support

I had a good laugh with the two nurses administering the vaccine (one administrator and checking the dose detail etc, the other administering the injection) when they asked if I was on any anticoags, which I am after having a provoked embolism about a 15 months after my leg reconstruction surgery. I was quick to explain it was a provoked embolism, rather than health related, and explained very very briefly what happened.

They loved the photos of my leg, though the initial X-ray photo had them both aghast.

The next one is due the end of May and as I always aim to do, is place a smile on their faces.

• Congratulations on getting your first jab, Mike. Fingers crossed you do not get any side effects but even if you do have any, that is still far better than getting the virus!
  • Michael B said:
    I've done my duty for queen and country, and had my first jab, the AstraZeneca for those interested.

That's great, though I find myself quite shocked that I was vaccinated ahead of you.  My status as Limpy's carer lifted me up a whole three priority groups.

I read that the unstoppable Dalai Lama has had his vaccination and is encouraging others to get theirs.  What a terrific bloke.

• Glad you got the jab Mike and I was interested in the reaction to your leg xray. I have had a similar reaction when having chest xrays as part of my right lung has been removed when I had lung cancer. and of course that is visible on xray pictures. One radiologist even came and looked at the scar on my back then asked a trainee with him to look at the scar on my back as he said it was "a neat job", felt a bit of a prawn stood there lol
  • Clare Bailey said:

Michael B said:
    I've done my duty for queen and country, and had my first jab, the AstraZeneca for those interested.

That's great, though I find myself quite shocked that I was vaccinated ahead of you.  My status as Limpy's carer lifted me up a whole three priority groups.

I read that the unstoppable Dalai Lama has had his vaccination and is encouraging others to get theirs.  What a terrific bloke.

Being as practical and realistic as I am, I'm pleased the prevalence has been organised the way it has, and I am pleased those caring for the vulnerable, no matter how vulnerable they are, are getting priority.

I'm shocked however at how the govt had let slip through the net those with learning difficulties, who in my book, are more needy than me.

My health is generally very good (even post-accident where I endured a couple of years battling provoked pulmonary embolisms due to the surgery I endured), I'm one of those annoying people, when I have a cold, its a sniffle for 24/48 hours, and gone. It annoys Mrs PR, when she gets a cold, its bed for a few days!

Covid-19 isn't about just you or me, its a far bigger picture, being global with all types and vulnerabilities, and I'm genuinely pleased the UK program has looked after the majority those who need that bit, or lot, of support.

Please, celebrate the fact that Limpy has been giving the priority he needs through you, I am. Thumbsup

• Wendy S said:
    Glad you got the jab Mike and I was interested in the reaction to your leg xray. I have had a similar reaction when having chest xrays as part of my right lung has been removed when I had lung cancer. and of course that is visible on xray pictures. One radiologist even came and looked at the scar on my back then asked a trainee with him to look at the scar on my back as he said it was "a neat job", felt a bit of a prawn stood there lol

Its a reaction I've become used to, in a positive way. However, I do sometimes wonder if medical staff are encouraged to take that approach to show patient support, empathy and sensitive bedside manners.

You like me may recall the days when medical staff had no bedside manners, and the Victorian stiff upper lip approach was standard.

I worked for a large automotive manufacturer, and we had our own Occupational Health Unit, where over the years I've come to know the medical staff very well, in particular, our physio, ex-army, but a great guy, and very supportive to those determined to move forward the best they can, but an enemy of the lead swingers.

He had major injuries sustained in action as a medic, and like me, had a frame on his leg, but to use his words, "That breakage is with style", which was similar to the wording that the surgeon who rebuilt my leg used!

So the jury is out, as to whether it is to show empathy, or yes my breakage was bad, or even both.....

Whatever, its a warming and sensitive approach, and one that will comfort patients, which has to be good.

• Hi Pete, Yes it has been a strange time but glad to see you have been able to get out and see some of your local birding spots! Its important too and I do think that more people have felt connected to their environment if not their families and friends. Hopefully may it continue and thank you for your contribution Gwyneth Pembrokeshire