Bad pics of fab wildlife :)

Just because there's way too much great photography on this site...!

You know the feeling. You only got one or a few photos of it and they're not very good, but you can't bear to throw the photos away because they're all you have of that particular species. So you keep them, just until you get better ones :) We've managed to 'upgrade' some of the species below since these bad pics were taken, but not all...

Please join in! I can't be the only one who hordes terrible wildlife photos :)

Collared Flycatcher

Otter

Peregrine

and best (worst) of all, Nightjar!

• If that other one is the same bird then I'm tending towards Great Black-backed Gull now as it seems to have a bill the size of a small family hatchback, as memorably described by John B :)

ETA - x-post with Roy, glad to see that we seem to more or less agree!

• Thanks Bob, Roy, Aiki  

I checked the EXIF settings to try convince myself it was the same bird and sure enough both photos were taken seconds from one another, both at 06.40 am.    

I do appreciate all your amazing efforts with this bird, the shadow - or whatever - is bizarre  lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Maybe it was on its way to 'tern' over the local sub post office and you caught it just after it had pulled a stocking over its head!

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• LOL MC !!    be afraid, be very afraid   ha ha !!   close encounter of the weird bird kind.

Regards, Hazel 

• Here is my really stupid suggestion but could it possibly have had it's head somewhere?  that black line looks so regular - sort of thick mud or paint or...?

Caroline in Jersey

Cin J

• Hi Caroline;  after checking the EXIF settings these two photos were taken just seconds apart (6.40 am.)  and had to be the same bird so it has to be the lighting/shadow that caused this perfect dark head cover .........hard to believe it could be that precise but I have no other explanation !     If only I could rewind and retake the photos !

post edit:    should have said I don't remember two birds together (in flight) other than the canada geese and the buzzards .

Regards, Hazel 

• Could not help but download it to have a closer look, I now think it is the same bird, could have been a camera glitch on the second picture, this is what the head looks like blown up, the outline of the black is to neat only a camera fault could have done it there is no feather edge it just does not look right!!

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• This took me by surprise I was sat down in Public hide RSPB-LM and out of the corner of my eye a saw this marsh harrier flying over the hide low I quickly got outside and took three shots before it disappeared over the trees no time to set the camera up for bright sky this picture has been lightened up some :(

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• You do realise this thread is 'Bad' pictures? I wouldn't file that under bad. I'd be most pleased if I managed a shot like that. You're being too modest Jim. Too modest by far.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• The good news is I went to Sculthorpe today and saw a kingfisher.  The bad news?  This:

What on earth happened?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.