Sunrises and Sunsets 2019; Share your photos here

The original thread "Autumn Sunrises and Sunsets share your photos here" has generated a nice collection of photos from you, and is still going strong through winter 2018/9.

To save the thread getting too long, it might be wiser to have a fresh thread for this year, and I look forward to seeing your continued contributions.

To start the ball rolling, three from my recent trip to North Wales early this month, a Llandullas Sunset.

• PimperneBloke said:
    Got to admit Mike, I'm not seeing significant difference in the images I take with the filter to without. I'm probably not using it correctly so I'll have an interweb, and also ask my sister, and see if we can make a difference.

That was my experience when I had (still have somewhere) a UV filter. Every day is a school day, especially with photography.

I had more success with film than digital, the same with the Skylight 1B filter. The Skylight often added a nice warm appearance on film, but I never saw that with digital. I'm tempted to try the Skylight again with the 5D

When light, time and conditions allow, I'm experimenting with ND filters at the moment, with mixed results, though early findings are encouraging.

Incidentally, it was often recommended to use either a Skylight or UV filter to protect the lens from scratches.

• OMG, I'm telling you porky pies Mike, my sister nagged so I got Hoya UV filters which double up as lens scratch protectors (better £20 than £200 in case of damage was her convincing argument), it was the polarising filter I was experimenting with, Doh!
  • PimperneBloke said:
    OMG, I'm telling you porky pies Mike, my sister nagged so I got Hoya UV filters which double up as lens scratch protectors (better £20 than £200 in case of damage was her convincing argument), it was the polarising filter I was experimenting with, Doh!

Tut tut....

But probably a wise move.

Polarising filters prefer full sunlight when outdoors, and even then, you don't always get the desired results.

It's all about the angle of light going through the filter, and don't ask me to explain it, I'll confuse myself, as well as you.

Another benefit of polarising filters, again with a good amount of light, is to reduce reflections from water surfaces or glass. Look at the tow pics below, the first was without the polariser, the second with. You'll see not just the blue of the sky is different. but the reflection on the seas surface has been reduced.

And it can enhance monochrome scenes as well, in much the same way, but on a greyscale rather than full colour spectrum, again first without the polariser, the second with.

I hope that helps you to get the best from the polariser.

• PimperneBloke said:
    it was the polarising filter I was experimenting with

Polarisers have two main uses: to reduce glare from non-metallic surfaces, eg water, leaves etc and to increase the saturation of blue skies. However, they have little effect on the sky when pointing at or directly away from the sun. Their greatest effect is with blue skies at 90' to the sun. Consequently, you need a bit of care when using a wide-angle lens as only part of the sky can become saturated and the effect can look unnatural.

Nige   Flickr

• That crossed with Mike's reply

Nige   Flickr

• Thanks Nige, I've tried a couple or three times with autumn leaves against blue sky with white clouds, but as I said, can't see much of a difference, perhaps sun has been in wrong position. I'll keep trying :o)
  • PimperneBloke said:
    Good info, thanks Mike :o)

You're welcome

• Sunset over/ through my back garden 8/11. Half hour time difference orange to pink