LOCAL TWITCH

We have not got a lot of serious birding done recently usually due to my health problems but even after a poor night  Chris decided the weather here in N.Yorkshire was too good to waste so after an early lunch it was up the road to our local reserve. One of the first birds we spotted at the first viewpoint was a beautiful Black Tern on its autumn migration probably heading for West Africa. Also on view from here were several hundred Golden Plover and the sight of there flying en masse in the sun after being flushed by a fox on the shore line was great with the sun catching their golden plumage. We had a  bit of a walk round near some old silt pools it was nice to see 20 or so Gadwall,a much under rated that seems to be spreading well on this reserve.We also managed to find a small number of Pinkfoots here,we never get them in big numbers even though they do fly over in big numbers probably heading for Tees side. So well worth moving myself for and to be walking around in the sun in mid October feels pretty good to me,hope our luck holds out for a family holiday to Northumberland at the end of the month, fingers crossed folks.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Wendy S said:

We have not got a lot of serious birding done recently usually due to my health problems but even after a poor night  Chris decided the weather here in N.Yorkshire was too good to waste so after an early lunch it was up the road to our local reserve. One of the first birds we spotted at the first viewpoint was a beautiful Black Tern on its autumn migration probably heading for West Africa. Also on view from here were several hundred Golden Plover and the sight of there flying en masse in the sun after being flushed by a fox on the shore line was great with the sun catching their golden plumage. We had a  bit of a walk round near some old silt pools it was nice to see 20 or so Gadwall,a much under rated that seems to be spreading well on this reserve.We also managed to find a small number of Pinkfoots here,we never get them in big numbers even though they do fly over in big numbers probably heading for Tees side. So well worth moving myself for and to be walking around in the sun in mid October feels pretty good to me,hope our luck holds out for a family holiday to Northumberland at the end of the month, fingers crossed folks.

I'm sorry to read you've not been too well lately. I do sympathise with you, I seem to be going through a patch of health issues, and for someone who used to enjoy and practically live outdoors, when not working, I know how you feel. However, it's good that you've been able to get out and enjoy the decent weather we seem to be enjoying at the moment.

I hope the family holiday in Northumberland goes well for you all.

• Michael B said:
    I hope the family holiday in Northumberland goes well for you all.

We have 3 grandsons ,age 9 yrs,5 yrs and 20 months, who are pretty determined that Grandad Pete is going to enjoy himself while they are in charge of me !! It will be a great time to get some birding time in with them and hopefully evenings or poorer weather with give us to catch up with some ukulele lessons with them,hope the neighbours are a little hard of hearing.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I was wondering how your ukulele practice was going Pete, I was lucky enough to go and see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain playing in Chester last month, they are fantastic, and of course you always wonder what on earth you are doing even thinking of trying after hearing such talent.   I do enjoy playing though, and have three groups on the go each week now!!!!

Lot to learn

• gaynorsl said:

I was wondering how your ukulele practice was going Pete, I was lucky enough to go and see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain playing in Chester last month, they are fantastic, and of course you always wonder what on earth you are doing even thinking of trying after hearing such talent.   I do enjoy playing though, and have three groups on the go each week now!!!!

It is a little unfortunate that since the 5 year old started school the lessons have got a bit pushed to the side so next week may make up for it a little. For my 75th birthday last month Chris bought me a banjo ukulele,noisy little beggar that is !! the sound is not as sweet as my soprano but it gives me chance to relearn some of my old Appalachian type tunes from way back.

Pete

• It's the songs from way back that sound so well on the uke Pete.  I agree the banjo ukulele is a not so quiet!!   Suits certain songs well though, a friend in one of the groups has one, she doesn't use it too often I find:-)

Lot to learn