No: 43 species visits the garden - A KINGFISHER !!

Bet you do guess right though  !!      

Just sorting out a few pics of our latest garden visitor and got to say I nearly dropped my cup of coffee  lol       Grabbed camera, no time to change settings except up the ISO as it was dark and gloomy outside and had to take pics through window.  

Ok.............    what was it ?           I'll post pics shortly   lol  

Regards, Hazel 

• Fabulous Hazel, you will have to build a hide and charge entry soon

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• Lol Judi,  the changes to the garden we have undertaken since buying the house 4 years ago have really encouraged an abundance of birds/wildlife which has been an absolute thrill to see.    The pond/waterfall area has been the best addition as we've seen so many unusual birds (to a suburban garden) such as Willow Warbler, Redwings, Grey Wagtails, Grey Heron and now the Kingfisher along with the regular garden visitors. 43 different birds in total - so far !    The stumpery area is for bugs/beetles and any hedgehogs that may wish to take up residence and we've added butterfly and insect homes too.  We saved some large slices from a dead Oak tree and one acts as a bird table and the others are in the recently constructed stumpery along with off-cuts of logs and branches.  It's amazing what you can do with a garden to attract different wildlife in and its always lovely when you get surprise visits !   There are lots of features that don't cost much like the stumpery, just the addition of a few ferns and wildflowers needed.    I think a garden is an ever changing feature as we think of new things to add or areas to change round.  

Regards, Hazel 

• Do you still have the Mallard pair aitch?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hazel, That is fantastic--a Kingfisher!  Amazing!  Most of us will never see one in our back gardens but only perhaps the occasional tiny flash of blue on a Jay's wing or the shine of a Magpie's wing!

Kind regards, Ann

• Imagine if everyone (or even just half of everyone) took it upon themselves to make their garden extra wildlife-friendly! Taken as a whole, the nation's gardens make up a big chunk of outside space/potential habitats, and it's such a shame so many disappear completely under concrete or decking or artificial lawn.

Fish would be nice for a Kingie but most garden wildlife ponds are too small to accommodate fish without them eating most of the rest of the wildlife (esp tadpoles). But you could have a fish pond AND a wildlife pond...!

• Good ideas A!  So the next meet could be at Aitch's place to dig out & create fish pond - KF's for the use of!!  I'll bring sticklebacks if someone else can supply minnows! Lol

Added bonuses would be (a) to reveal ourselves to aitch in person & (b) to sneak some pics of all her lovely garden visitors!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Ann,  it certainly was an unexpected bonus to see this KF in the garden of all places !    I had been visiting Woolston Eyes to see if their KFs were around but had no luck this week spotting them then I return home and next morning lo and behold  lol       you really never know what you may see in the garden and as Aiki says.....  

(Morning Aiki !  )   if we all do our bit to encourage wildlife and add even a small water or wildlife area we can stand the chance  of seeing some amazing animals :)      There is a smaller still (unfiltered) pond to the left of the larger pond which is on constant filter but both ponds really too shallow for fish.   We have had dragonflies lay their eggs though :)  lots of beetles, skaters, etc.,     I have stopped adding any blanket weed chemical to the pond even though the product I used in the past is wildlife friendly as I think it can affect smaller frog-life or other creatures.  Now Mike and I just net scoop the debris off but leave some moss/algae which is good for the birds like the G.Wagtail to forage.   Don't want a totally pristine pond as there's nothing for the Waggers, Dunnock, Robin, Chaffie, Bully, and Tit family to eat  !!  they all use the waterfall area for foraging and bathing as do passing birds like Redwing, WWarbler, etc., which have stopped by.  

@ Wendy,   the Mallards tend to split up during July/Aug and the Drake goes off to join his mates and females gather together with their young.   As far as I understand, the Drake will then go in search of a female at the end of the year and pair up again but Aiki will have more accurate info on this one !   Our pair i think arrived in March and left in July and although it was a delight to see them during the day (they roosted elsewhere at night) it was also good when they left as the pond was suffering a little as they would be eating some of the critters that live in there and the waterlilies had no chance of spreading as they water-sklid in each morning  lol  !!     I still hope they call in again next spring season :)  

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks aitch ... On balance, think I would sooner have a pair of beautiful & comical Mallards than Water-lilies, especially if they produced eggs!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:
    On balance, think I would sooner have a pair of beautiful & comical Mallards than Water-lilies, especially if they produced eggs!!

there were a lot of "shenanigans" and x-rated viewings  lol    but didn't see any eggs or offspring from them.     it was interesting when on one of our walks to see a whole nursery of female mallards with their offspring - 91 in total  !!    a beautiful sight.   

Regards, Hazel 

• We have had some what I consider good birds in or over the gardens around our flats,including Goshawk and Osprey,but despite being only about 300 yards (as birds fly) from the River Ure Kingfisher is not on our garden list.It must have been great to see nice to get pics as well.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can