Line and Wash

Hi everyone, so I was browsing the art section yesterday and saw some very lovely watercolours and sketches that other members have made which got me into an art mood myself. So, I found my watercolours and a moleskine sketch book that I was going to use for urban sketching but, being out in the field made me realise its size is not very good for what I intended to use it for.  But, it was a good size for small birds so I decided to use it for line and wash.

Now I'm not very good with watercolours myself, I'm more of a pencil, pen and ink person, but maybe i'll improve with watercolours if I post in the art section on here a bit more.

So this is the painting of a Treecreeper I made, using the photograph from the thread "Gosforth Park Woodland Birds" as reference. I made a light sketch, inked it then added some watercolour down.

Enjoy!  

• Looks really good to me WE, I appreciate people who have the talent to draw, paint, can do neither myself.

• Thanks everyone! It means a lot to me as I am even more passionate in art than birding and photography (which is easier compared to art for me). Unfortunately, self doubt and pressure to improve quickly in art had hindered me in perusing it. I'd quite like a career (not something extravagant but able to survive off, I'm a simple person) in it in the future and I'm still young so if I can motivate myself a bit more, I may yet have hope hahaha.  

• You've tried watercolour again after saying you're not good, which is great. I think the more you do it, the better you get and the more comfortable you become doing it (even if you never stop wanting to do better) so if you want to do it, keep at it :)

• Wildlife Endeavours said:

Thanks everyone! It means a lot to me as I am even more passionate in art than birding and photography (which is easier compared to art for me). Unfortunately, self doubt and pressure to improve quickly in art had hindered me in perusing it. I'd quite like a career (not something extravagant but able to survive off, I'm a simple person) in it in the future and I'm still young so if I can motivate myself a bit more, I may yet have hope hahaha.  

It's always easy to be very self critical, that's what drives us forward. We see our errors, especially the minor ones that others don't see, and sometimes, we take a lot of convincing we're actually doing a good job, whatever it is.
    However, it's even more important, but hard to do, to take on board the praise and compliments we receive, accept that others are happy with what we do.
    You're doing a grand job, keep the pictures coming, but don't work too hard, we all need time to relax and play, to enjoy life and what's around us, something that we only appreciate when we get older.
  • Thanks for the encouragement Nige and Mike! It really does mean a lot. I think I'll do my best to use watercolour with my drawings especially with the drawings I do which aren't birds, as they do not form my art style but are good to use as practise for watercolour, once a week to form a habit.

• It is a lovely painting of a treecreeper - you should definitely keep on painting birds :)   I must admit I find watercolour tricky too but it is definitely worth persevering - yours is lovely.