The (very fun) wildlife (non-bird) art thread

I promised to start one since we're not all just bird-loving artists. Birds are great, but we all have other passions. :)

Since many of us love and are inspired by nature, this thread is for any artwork related to all things wild and untamed, be that fungi in dappled woodland light, the patterns of rock fissures, moths, bluebells in spring, etc. There are no rules (art, rules?) but there should be some recommendations, as follows:

This is a fun thread.

This is a fun thread, not just for finished paintings, ready to mount and frame.

This is a fun thread.

Any medium, any size, any format, anything goes.

This is a fun thread.

(I'd prefer no pets please, but this is a personal preference. Feel free to ignore me.)

To start, inspired by the little squirrels that came this morning to enjoy some seeds in my garden, here's a charcoal sketch in my sketchbook.

'Catch me if you can!'

• The Isle of man, nothing like my home patch.

• Ahhhhh, Elle, That is a fascinating place to visit and we loved it, not only for its birds but for its history, too.  I hope you have time to visit the reserve on the southern end of the island.  That was where we saw Choughs and Hooded Crows and Seals.  There is a very nice visitor centre there as well with a good restaurant with huge glass windows looking out over the Calf of Man.  There are several other areas on the island good for birds as well, though we did not see any Hen Harriers but apparently they do see them there.  I'm sure there are others on this Forum more experienced than I am who can tell you about other places good for birds on the island as well.

Kind regards, Ann

• Hello, late reply, but yes, I am amazed at what I have seen so far, inc. a peregrine (knocked me over for six), chough, raven, great herons, and Icelandic gulls. Never knew it would be such a rich habitat for birds. Visited the Calf but it was such poor weather I only managed to glimpse the chough on the way home since I could not stay out long without catching a chill. Exciting as these birds are, the rook and jackdaws have been my highlight! :)

• marvellous collection of birds - would love to see a chough - and never seen Icelandic gulls either.

see my photos on Flickr  http://www.flickr.com/photos/maggyn/

• Elle, It is great that you saw so many birds there; it is definitely a wonderful place to visit, although the weather is likely to be a bit better in the spring, summer and autumn than in winter!  To see more Jackdaws you can visit just about any castle and the Jackdaws should be hanging about and/or nesting, depending on the time of year.  We saw hoards of them at Arundel Castle two years ago when we took visitors around the place in June.  You can also see them in some housing estates, parading across the rooftops and chimneys.  We had them on our suet log feeders for a couple of years but they seem to have gone elsewhere for the last month or two.  I hope ours come back.

Maggy, We also saw Choughs in Wales--you do not need to go to the Isle of Man for them, although you would enjoy going there!

Kind regards, Ann

• Agreed, I saw them line every rooftop, tree and castle. They outnumbered people 10 to 1. Not sure how'd I'd feel about them in the garden though - heard they can quite a handful. Maggy, you're so lucky to live in rook and jackdaw land, you must not see many crows or 'pies?

Wasn't thrilled by the chough, but then again I have never desired to see one really - it may be rare but that's no use to me. One day, it could be more meaningful.

• I actually don't see many rooks where I now live in Edinburgh - just the occasional one (but do see a lot when I'm in Dumfries & Galloway; and Argyll etc)- the corvids I mostly see in the garden are magpies (frequency) and jackdaws (slightly less often but in larger numbaers) and the occasional carrion crow. also see "hoodies" in Argyll, Skye, etc.  would love to see a raven or a chough!

• I expect the magpies and crows stick to larger cities and Edinburgh is no doubt more welcoming to them. (Great place to live!)

Shame about the rooks but I suspect it offers little to them in terms of food? As for jackdaws, you are lucky to even have an occasional visit. It would be ridiculously good to see them here in London. The raven I looked for never materialised where it was meant to be, and hey ho, it turned up just when I did not expect. It's a shame their numbers are declining and they get such a bad rap in the press. Also, a shame they do not venture (return?) north.

Never found a rookery, but for me to live by one would be bliss despite the droppings. Waking up to their croaks would be something to hear. To think I used to think they looked like dinosaurs...

I am hoping to visit the Highlands this summer. Looking forward to all the new birds already.

• I know it is nowhere near the Highlands - but if you had a chance to visit on your way there or back - RSPB Mersehead has a rookery - and there are also two reasonably priced cottages that can be hired actually on the reserve (have stayed there several times - wonderful place) - www.rspb.org.uk/.../index.aspx

• Thanks for the link, you had me at rookery!

Will not chat anymore, next post will be some proper work.