Watercolour

Got my box out on a rainy day

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• I was out birding on the Norfolk coast a few years back and met a guy ( Ian King?) who was filming a How to paint watercolour landscapes TV series. Later I met another guy who was doing a local watercolour course in a local  village hall so I went along with my 30 year old metal watercolour paint box  I hadn't opened in decades and had a go.

Basically these are pencil drawings with washes over the top.

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Well, I think you should have a go more often.  Just don't leave it for another 30 years, please!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Wonderful work S. Do you do the full thing in the field?

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• These are terrific Seymouraves, you have a gifted tallent there.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hi-

let's say for arguments sake that you have a badly exposed digi-scoped image of a Kiskadee taken in Argentina-

You also have an HB  pencil, a watercolour box, some tape, sable brushes size 2 and 4, a hair dryer  and a window to use as a lightbox;

You could trace off the bird against the window onto a piece of CS2 paper using other photos etc for detail  reference. tape the drawing to a piece of A3 hardboard with the corners sawn off at 45 degrees  to keep it easy to handle -

• Hi-  you could then add background washes - Naples  yellow first  and  Neutral Tint watercolour over the top while still wet - after the colour wash- DRY THE PICTURE with the hair dryer!

and then block in some shadows to add depth - and Hair dry!

S

• and now some colour....

Everyone with me so far?

S

• What a great idea - that would be within the ability of almost anyone who lacks a gift for drawing (like me!).  The finished item looks lovely.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• It's not finished yet :)))

Have used 6 colours but not the No 2 brush so far....

S

• That shows what I know about art.