Line drawings

Hi-

are line drawings a thing of the past now?

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• I hope not.  They are things of sheer beauty when done properly.

Aiki has one as her avatar, as I recall.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• A proper line drawing is done with JUST lines (so usually with a pen) and shading would be done with cross-hatching. My avatar's a pencil drawing and I've done pencilly-style shading using the side of the lead (sorry, not sure of the technical term), so it's not a proper line drawing - it's 'greyscale' rather than purely black-and-white.

This Leopard is a line drawing, done with a pen. As you can see, I didn't have the patience for tidy cross-hatching so it looks scribbly... I don't know about anyone else but I find line drawings really difficult and exacting, though I agree that they are lovely when done well. I believe they were preferred for printed material because they were easier to print than 'greyscale' drawings but perhaps that's no longer the case, hence their becoming rarer.

• Both drawings are absolutely beautiful, Aiki.  Thanks for the explanation - my knowledge of drawing (and many other things!) could be written on the back of a postage stamp.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• My goodness me aiki! they are beautiful. Such a talent.

• Hi-

I guess I'm just a dinosaur

:)

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Superb drawings Aiki and Seymour,   what fabulous talent you both have, thanks so much for sharing these drawings and if there are any more ?  lol   would love to see them.  

Regards, Hazel 

• 2 lovely drawings Aiki, have you any more as I would love to see them? Seymouraves your picture is also very good.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Haven't seen your Leopard drawing before, aiki. You've captured it beautifully, not that I've seen one in the wild.

Nice drawing of the Bobolink, S. Not that I knew what it was except that you kindly put the title on the photo.

You are both very talented.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Wow, far better than my attempts A & S. How do you draw birds/animals without having a picture in front of you? I always have to take a picture and then sort of copy it.

Gus

Blog Flickr and I have a youtube channel but not updated much.

• Wow, far better than my attempts A & S. How do you draw birds/animals without having a picture in front of you? I always have to take a picture and then sort of copy it.

1- nothing wrong with photo reference

2- know your anatomy and feather topography

3- 50 years of doing it

S