Magical mystery beetle quiz #12

Forget the fab four, think the fab 12. For the next 12 weeks, it’s quiz time again and this time, I will be testing your knowledge of British beetles. Many beetles have metallic or iridescent coloured elytra and thorax, making them - the real shining stars of the show. Beetles can live in a wide range of habitats. Some can fly and others cannot. Some have long antennae, and others long legs. Some have even mastered the art of disguise! Prepared to be be(et)dazzled and if you’re feeling lucky, perhaps you can even guess the bonus quiz question!

Magical mystery beetle quiz #12
Clue: Only the foolish box.

Bonus quiz: Our cake tint wow.

• Leopards are found in Tanzania, maybe they are envious of the Longhorns spots - ergh I is confused -

Cin J

• can't get my head round this one lol

going with first clue there is a book called box beetle by Ned beauman with a beetle on the cover but can't find what beetle although it looks familia

Rhinocerus and dung beetles are also in Tanzania

also thought of cream spot ladybird

Ray

a good laugh is better than a tonic

• I was quite happy with Green Tiger beetle until yesterdays clue now like others totally confused so went out birding in the Washburn Valley instead,managed to walk about 3 miles so stamina coming back hopefully.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• going to stick my neck out and go for Rhinocerus beetle

think its a female on the book cover Box beetle.

more than likely completely wrong lol

Ray

• Congratulations to all of you who guessed Green tortoise beetle (Cassida viridis). First a bit about the clues. First clue: Only the foolish box. If you are foolish, you can often be referred to as being ‘green’. Box turtles are often referred to as Box tortoises. Second clue: Envious leopards of Tanzania. Green is a colour with associate with envy. The Tanzania leopard is a type of tortoise.

Masters of disguise, Green tortoise beetles are thus named because of their shape and colour. They are a member of the Leaf beetle family, along the Asparagus beetle and Bloody nose beetle we met earlier. Their pronotum and elytra extend beyond their body like a shell allowing them to hide their feet and antennae when threatened. Using their striking shape and colour they can remain unseen on leaves. Partial to White dead nettle and water mint, they are often found in gardens.

A picture of a Green tortoise beetle can be found here.

Did you know: that Green tortoise beetle larvae use their own poo as camouflage!

Bonus quiz answer: We can work it out! 1965 A-side of single.

Take care,

Claire

• Well, we live & learn ... but not very well!!! Lol

Thanks for the fun (& angst) Mrs T ... wot's the next one going to be??

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• would never have got that lol

really enjoyed Mrs T

Ray

• no wonder we were all puzzled

Cin J

• Great stuff,bamboozled us all although some got the green bit right as well as the bonus.Wonder what awaits us next.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• No more quizzes from me for a while I'm afraid. Sorry. But will keep you posted.