Nuthatch spotted in my garden - Renfrewshire

just joined the group and wanted to share  

Keen bird watcher who spotted a Nuthatch over the last couple of days. Finally saw it feeding from one of my feeders. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to photograph nor have I the technology needed to catch this speedy little feeder. 

So excited by this, and it adds to the many other types visiting, including a great spotted wood pecker. 

• Hi Cartey, and welcome.

Lucky you, having Nutty and Woodpecker in the garden Slight smile We had a GSW family where we used to live, just for one year. Never had Nutty in the garden, but is one of my favourite birds, I remember buying my Mum a stoneware ornament of one, when I was a whippersnapper, and she still has it now Smiley

• Hello, and thank you for the welcome. Nutty, I like that name Blush    

• Hello Cartey and welcome  to the forum, from a dismal West Midlands.

It can be amazing what visitors you have to the garden, at all hours of the day and night. Even an urban garden. 

While most smart phones struggle, a compact camera should enable some opportune moments. Or, place a trailcam on  a nearby tree, fence post or pole in the ground within 10-20  mtrs of the feeder.

A little tip to tempt, no, make that bribe, birds, is  probably suet pellets, particularly this time of year. Place the suet pellets in a safe place like a feeding table for the nutty (and others) to feed, away from fear of predation, and after a short while, you should get that opportunity. Allow time for confidence to build up and you will eventually get lucky.

If you want to have a look at some of the many alternative, but polite, names used for many species of birds, have a look at a thread from three years ago.

Point right   Just for fun: Pet Names & Nicknames for birds and other species 

Finally, feel free to join the conversations, whether you have any photos or not, many of us are a bit nutty to put it mildly.

• Thanks for the welcome and the link for of the names for your flighty visitors. 

I’ll need to work on mine, but I can tell you a few so far. 

Woody - The Broons Family - Maw, Paw and the wean 

The great Scottish woodpecker - Not spotted 

Jack the lads (Jackdaw) no’s 1-50

Pigeons - Dastardly and Muttley and descendants  (so many strangely for where I live and they are not stamped or have a leg ring) thanks 

Yellow finches - Fringi lillies 

Sparrow Hawk  -  Flash Gordon 

Sparrows - Hoodlums

Robin -  Lone Ranger 

Nuthatch - Creeper 

hoping that I’ll see other species soon.