Smells UNDER my bird feeders

Hi. I'm Dave and have been weeding under my feeders and the smell caused by the seed in the ground is very unpleasant. Is there anything I can use to neutralise the smells without causing harm to either the birds or my plants? Thanks

• I would dig it well in and let the earth sanitise it, also move your feeders around to stop big build ups!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Wendy, thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I can't move the feeders; the pole carrying the feeders is in a half barrel containing soil and rocks, making it extremely heavy and impossibleto move. Besides, my garden is so small there's no other place for it. Digging in may be possible, to an extent. It's a very small garden and there are shrubs whose roots would prevent digging in under them.

I was hoping there was another way, perhaps treating the soil with something.

• Hello David, that would be my advice as well. You don't have to dig deep, just a hand fork and turn the soil over. Maybe cut back on the food that you put out as well. Just a word of advice, as this is an open site, you may want to change your user name from your private, email, you don't want to get bombarded with trolls, or spam and rubbish emails. Hit the little circle top right, hit profile, down the right a bit hit edit profile, change your name in the box at the top and save profile.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.