Annoying Community Software

It just seems to get worse and worse. Today the Community doesn't fit my screen anymore and so many posts are flagged as latest input even though most of those inputs occurred over 5 hours ago. Note how there is so much wasted space yet poster's names are obliterated. Just seems to get worse instead of better.  Looking on the bright side there's only one Spam message at the moment.

• It only happens on the first displayed page. Scrolling back and forward using the navigation arrows or the numerics give exactly the same result.
  • It’s not just the forum. Changes to the main website and promises about the main or home website including the reserves been back to normal and the missing detail reappearing by January 2024. I kne what would happen and not one part of missing pages and details have reappeared and I knew that would happen as has happened time after times. And the spam about forum are worse than ever. Remember about that survey no more news about that as I knew filling in that survey would be a waist of time. The next thing that I mention seems to happen in the evening when I try to post an item that I have written and then try and send but then completely disappears and I lose an item I’ve tried to post. And I could say much just like you. I just don’t believe what the RSPB digital staff promise any more as it doesn't get better but gets worse. And at this present time and for months just silence from the digital staff!

Regards,

Ian.

• tuwit said:
    It only happens on the first displayed page. Scrolling back and forward using the navigation arrows or the numerics give exactly the same result.

But it shouldn't happen at all.! And its happening on all Pages for me. Maybe I'm just lucky. And the space wasted at the margins is just ridiculous. Must have been written by someone very talented. Disappointed

• I thought it was my pc settings, so a relief to read I'm not alone. playing with software just because they can....

It seems to be an ailment of software and tech these days. My email provider now has a large box with an i in where I select the address to where I;m sending the email. Apparently it's to advise users the addresses listed are suggestions!

I always thought they were suggestions.....

Thinking Rolling eyes 

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.....

• Tried all devices and it is happening on every page for me too.

I remember many years ago writing on the forum that while I was against most forms of outsourcing, this sort of thing, small scale I.T. is something RSPB really should be looking at. All RSPB need is an outsourced company to provide the 'framework' (website etc) and just a small team of staff to then populate it with stories, blogs etc. Costly having teams of 'techies' and it often doesn't work. Either the wrong people are recruited, or the right ones are recruited and leave.....you then end up Jacob's Creek with a sieve rather than a wine glass.

• The format 'upgrade' seems to be back to normal now....and one spam post has gone....next page, both spam and chaotic format survive......
  • Correction......now first page is also back to 'upgraded' format again....
  • stealthybutnotthatstealthy said:
    Correction......now first page is also back to 'upgraded' format again....

I dare not say all back to normal, it's like Russian Roulette......

It could explain why the forum has been running slow, with running software updates....  Upside down

• I see we have another couple of spam posts ... it is these that determine the width of the page pushing all other info temporarily off the page ... if you go to page two it is all perfdctly readable! The same thing happens when posters ask a long question in the header bar instead of being brief then writing the rest of the question in message box underneath!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:
    I see we have another couple of spam posts ... it is these that determine the width of the page pushing all other info temporarily off the page ... if you go to page two it is all perfdctly readable! The same thing happens when posters ask a long question in the header bar instead of being brief then writing the rest of the question in message box underneath!

I can only apologise upfront, but I don't know why, it reminded me of the following advert phrase of many years ago. (I feel old now I've looked up when that first aired)

"Access, your flexible friend"