A swan

Thete ihas been a lone swan living on a pond near me quite tame fed well bt the locals had tge pond to itself.  But 2 other swans have now arrived & booted the lone swan off the pond obvs claimed it as thete territory.  The lone swan sits on the side of the lake when it enters the pond is quickly pursued off by the others...my worry is will it survive in this threatening situation ...can it be moved to another lake maybe introduced to another swan ??

• Hi Lisa, I can only suggest that you get in contact with this sanctuary, they may be well placed to answer your question
    www.theswansanctuary.org.uk/

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Lisa. quite often you may see lone swans and this can be for various reasons; maybe a young bird that hasn't paired up and has yet to find a life-long mate, a swan that has lost its mate or a swan that has perhaps flown in to another's area, Swans, especially as we approach spring and breeding season can be very territorial and will endeavour to chase off other swans that may encroach on their territory or try claim a territory if they are a pair especially if there is only a single swan.    Swans should never be moved to another body of water where there might be resident swans as it could result in catastrophe. Swans that have bred last year will start to move their own offspring off their territory pre-breeding season. Hopefully the lone swan you have seen will move away of its own accord and find another area for itself. As Wendy says, if you are overly concerned and you see serious injury then contact the swan sanctuary with the link that has been provided.       

Regards, Hazel 

• Thabkyou both for your repkiws & advice ...i understand they are terratorial & being a lone swan odds are againat it staying on the pond . It must be the best fed swan ...ever...the licals all feed it & keep a watchful eye on daily dog walks...its become so tame. I have seen it re enter the water but quickly exit with the duo in hot prsuit. I,m no expert but thete dosent look like any injuries just a sorry sight seeing it booted off its pond. :) ...thanks again
  • Thanks for the update Lisa, pleased to hear that you're keeping an eye on things!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr