Swallow nest- removal?

After sitting in the garden yesterday and watching a pair of swallows swooping, I suddenly realised they were trying to get into my garage. We often leave the door open. Turns out they have made a nest in the roof. It looks fully made but as yet no eggs and no sitting birds. 
Problem is my partner spends a lot of time in there during the day, hence why I had seen them swooping so much, as they wouldn’t go in while he was in there. 

He now wants to make sure the door is shut all the time so they can’t lay any eggs as he thinks they won’t feed the chicks if he’s in there, plus doesn’t want the mess. 

I think it’s unfair to deny them, especially as they have spent time making the nest.

What should we do? Will they just go and find some where else, I’ve never seen swallows in my garden before today and I’ve lived there for ten years.

Can we move the nest to the outside of the garage to under an over hang?

Thanks

• www.rspb.org.uk/.../

You night like like to read this about exceptions in the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act! I’m not saying saying that I agree with that part of the 1981 act. But this is the law in the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act. Also parts of the 1981 Act, are now different in other parts of the UK particularly in Scotland. But there are some exceptions within the 1981 act where certain things can affect wild birds nests under any schedule. For example suppose a birds nest even a Schedule one species had a nest in a tree. That tree could well be in danger of falling onto someone’s home. That is one situation a tree might be allowed to be cut down for safety reasons. That is one such example where exceptions under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside act might allow that to happen under exceptional reasons for that to be done. That 1981 act is quite complicated and also allows falconry including UK Raptors in very limited ways. The 1981 act is complex. And if  anyone is not sure about that 1981 act, well you should read the complete 1981 act in detail. As that act is complicated and as I said it is different in some aspects in other parts of the UK particularly in Scotland. There are 4 exceptions mentioned in the link that can affect nests. It’s the second exception that could affect any wild bird nests including schedule 1 birds. But any organisation would have to prove there was no other possible safe way to achieve this without having to down a tree.. But if there was no other possible safe way to achieve this safely in any other way, then a tree could be taken down during the nesting season for safety reasons including any schedule one birds nesting in that tree.

Regards,

Ian.