HS2 storys

Luckily I don’t have HS2 in my area but for anyone who does here I doubt they like the idea or even think it’s good for Wildlife I have found a map in case your interested and any discussions on the topic or any storys of HS2 where they are, are welcome 

https://www.hs2.org.uk/in-your-area/map/#6/52.0187/-2.1533/searchLat=51.935792&searchLng=-0.674525&searchRad=8046/filter=hs2-stations,hs2-network

. You can share any updated news you find aswell

• It ain't news. More historical.

But I personally think it (severely) undermines HS2's assertions on the veractity of their claims of "HS2's data is independently verified, accurate and reliable from extensive, detailed surveys by expert ecologists out in the field, on huge areas of land."

I wonder whether any of their ("HS2's data") data is openly published (to be otherwise independently verified). Or whether it just resides in an internal HS2 project file.
  • I  just found What you sent is interesting thats all. so I wondered if there were also anything else but that has been published after 2021 aswell. it says they tryed to defend it from HS2 and managed to defend it  and are still trying to protect it  And they have done a pledge 

currently the pledge is still going on regardless but I don’t know how long for cause it said  9 days to go. And There trying to get enough money To protect it from HS2 should they need to again like before

• The generics (not specfic to Jone's Wood).

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/.../CS1702_Ancient_Woodland_Summary_Report_November_2022.pdf

Honestly? The people writing this hogwash are (IMO) bereft of clue.

1.1.7 Where losses of ancient woodland are expected to occur, a range of compensatory
    measures have been proposed by HS2 Ltd, including:
    • translocation of ancient woodland soils;
    • salvage of ancient woodland soils;
    • translocation of coppice stools, bulbs and deadwood;
    • salvage of coppice stools, bulbs and deadwood;
    • new woodland creation; and
    • enhancement of existing ancient and non-ancient woodlands.

Expected to occur? How about 'actually occur'?

My initial reponse to that load of is...

Translocation of soil does not re-establish the fragile fungal network that co-exists in ancient woodland between trees and fungi (and other plants and fungi). Neither does "salvage of ancient woodland soils". Both of those are established over centuries. Neither does "salvage of coppice stools, bulbs and deadwood". "New woodland creation" is not directly compensatory. There is also an associated loss of standing deadwood (required for many hole-nesting bird species). This isn't specified/mentioned. Neither is fragmentation.

I'm not sure whether I'd trust the report writers with their bold statement of "enhancement of existing ancient and non-ancient woodlands." It looks like a desk-job.

Of course it is financially cheaper to compulsoraily purchase land which doesn't have houses or active industrial sites (although it is arguably cheaper - financially and ecologically - in the long term, to make those relocations). Perhaps the legislation realted to compuldory purchase needs a thorough overhaul.

If there are new woodlands being established then they should have long-lasting (century spanning) protections *and* the financial support mechanisms to make sure they are a success as a compensatory measure. Governments are remarkably short-sighted, so I wouldn't hold proverbial breath on that,

• iv found more updates about the report you mentioned 

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/hs2-sign-our-open-letter

they are thinking of handing in a letter 

• People may have gathered I have very little respect and regard as to the implementation of HS2.

It could have been done a great deal better. I invoke the seven P's.

Just google it (or web search with another engine), because the expanded words won't get past the blog's filters. There are multiple valid (at least 3) 7P definitions.

Just my tuppence worth.

• Recent news on HS2 i recieved an email from Chris Packham Stand for Trees 

• Even if they did cancel HS2 completely, the damage done would take one hell of a long time to heal. it takes hundreds of years to build a woodland, not weeks as this government seems to think.....

With no decision announced, as yet, I wonder how much is media play to test the public reaction, in readiness for the next general election....Thinking

For me, it's too late, the damage is irreparable, not just where the construction is, but the devaluation of my property being in close proximity, but not close enough for compo.....

regards

John