Something odd on Community pages & Notifications!

Has anyone else noticed odd things going on, on  the community pages, on the first page there will several posts with no views but have replies? Many have no time but shown as latest? In notifications I know several of us have some sitting there that we can't get rid of, but I am not getting notifications when I should be, from posts liked, answered, mentioned. All this happening since last night.

I have looked in my settings and everthing is ticked the same as it always has been.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Mike thinks it might be playing catch up- catching up with posts and messages. I think it might exsplain why there so delayed. It’s like there catching up with messages and notifications we have replyed to the day before and same day. When still catching up or After its caught up from the older messages when we do another recent message it takes a long time to catch up with those ones after So does the whole process again. 

• Zo Clark said:

Mike thinks it might be playing catch up- catching up with posts and messages. I think it might exsplain why there so delayed. It’s like there catching up with messages and notifications we have replyed to the day before and same day. When still catching up or After its caught up from the older messages when we do another recent message it takes a long time to catch up with those ones after So does the whole process again. 

The Big Garden Birdwatch results were issued at least a week ago so the "excuse" if it ever was one that processing the results of that was slowing things down and therefore a catch up was needed should not have been an issue for a week or so. I don't believe it should take a week for the catch up to work its way through even if one was needed in the first place. Ian

• No real surprise though is it. This software has always been bad and is now getting on for 5-6 years old and is probably no longer being supported by whoever put it together in the first place. It's never been able to quote properly, you now get posts that have replies but no views and Notifications are going awry.
  • I dread the thought of them ever poposing another "update" of the forum. Each one seems to get less user friendly compared to the forums I use. I think it is mainly the interesting people using the forum that makes some of us old timers hang on. Others may think differently and love it of course.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Bobs_Retired said:
    No real surprise though is it. This software has always been bad and is now getting on for 5-6 years old and is probably no longer being supported by whoever put it together in the first place. It's never been able to quote properly, you now get posts that have replies but no views and Notifications are going awry.

I’m not surprised Bob! I can’t remember the exact year now when the first upgrade happened from the original software and since then further updates have made things worse and not better and original style website was so easy to use for anyone not really experienced with complex websites like myself. As I’m not used to complex upgrades which end up more difficult to use. And every upgrade since then has made this tRSPB Community Forum more difficult to use every time and also more and more technical problem such as as this have been worse. after every upgrade, as these problems have just got worse and worse. I can’t remember the year when this first started. There where lots of complaints from long term forum members and also quite a number who left this RSPB Forum and who have never returned to this forum. But no one ever replied publicly on this forum about all these problems that members complained about this on this forum. I had one or two private replies from Mike Clark the former CEO and Martin Harper the former Conservation Director. But despite that, complaints nothing ever happened to improve things with this forum and no one publicly replied from any member of staff about this  forum. Hopefully someone with a better memory than me, can remember the exact year when these problems, originally started. As the original style RSPB Community Forum was so easy to use and very few technical problems and very little spam appeared on this forum.

Regards,

Ian.

• It's never been right snice the last big update.

My notifications are all over the place, I've just had one emailed from a two week old thread, again, which I've already replied to, along with many others.

Also, the notifications on the forum home page have gone native!

But, it seems to be the older quieter threads I get the long overdue notifications for.

• An update from this morning's session on the forum.

Having gone through my emailed notifications, for the first time since the notification issue flared up, I'm at zero notifications, so hopefully if the forum was playing catch up, it might be almost there now.

My last two emailed notifications were for posts from yesterday, so fingers crossed......

• Just logged on this morning to find that my most recent notification is from 15 hours ago. I don't expect anything to be done about this but you never know. Of course it will take many many hours before anyone is notified that I have made this post! Ian
  • Looks like notifications has reared it's head again, or lack of. Logged on first time short while ago and had only 14, 10 are old ones that have been there for long enough, that will not go away!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• We are also back at 0 views but lots of replies. It's just rubbish software is probably not being supported properly any longer - its been on here quite a while now, we could do with an upgrade Slight smile