White partridge?

I saw this white partridge like bird whilst on a bikeride on the Yorkshire wolds, East Yorkshire. I can't identify it with my book and the only bird i think it looks similar to is ptarmigan, but my book also states that they only reside in Scotland? If any one could help me identify it that would be great, thanks!

• Certainly not a ptarmigan at a guess I would say it could be a Partridge with leucistic problems. For security reasons it may be best to change your user name as using your gmail address may lead to spam messages

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Yes I agree, I didn't consider leucism although I should have as I have a semi leucistic carrion crow that visits my garden! Thankyou and thanks for the advice regarding my email address.
  • Agree Robbo there a few variants of Partridge but I've never seen an all white version yet

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• That's interesting, where do you think its an escapee from? Sorry Im abit of a beginner and don't know much about game birds.
  • It also could be a "marker" bird often put out to help shoots to check where birds are I have seen it done on Pheasant shoots but never on Partridge but I suppose the idea is the same. If a gun shoots the white bird he is usually fined and the cash goes in the keepers beer fund

Pete