Robins

Hi folks! I'm quite enthusiastic though not very experienced when it comes to garden birds but over the summer I've come up with a number of home-made feeders which the local sparrows just love. Sunflower hearts, mixed seed and recently "robin & small bird" seed.

Now, while I do get a robin or two in the garden they mainly feed on seed dropped by the sparrows and so far haven't taken anything from the feeders themselves.

Could it be that the sparrows are simply overpowering the robins with sheer numbers, or do robins prefer ground feeding?

If ground, how can I keep larger birds off the seed?

I had to resort to a cage to keep starlings off the mealworms & suet. Sparrows really enjoy those.

I also have some Niger seed but so far nothing has gone near it :(

Advice appreciated.

-- 

Sea Harrier

• Hi Sea Harrier, I have just joined the community and seen your post. I hope your birds are visiting your feeders now and your robins are not scared off. I recently had the same problem, so I bought a feeder similar to the “I love Robins” feeder and as it is a suspended tray feeder, it was great to start with. The Jackdaws worked out that if they could manage to hook their feet on it, they could quickly swipe the food out onto the floor with their beaks. So, following a tip online, I bought 2 cheap metal hanging baskets for £2.75 each and fixed them around the feeder. Now the robins go in and feed and the Jackdaws no longer have access. They get access to another feeder instead and the sparrows stick mainly with the sunflower heart feeders, so everyone seems to be happy at the moment Blush.
  • I spotted a robin yesterday having a suet pellet at the same time a Goldfinch was present.The cage doesn’t seem to deter it.