Catlady's Garden - Update 16/01/24

This was the scene on getting up this morning! Taken through window.

Percy and one of his lady friends decided to make their way to the back for food! Also taken through window.

Later on in the morning. Nice to look at but not at the end of April! Taken from front door.

Thats all for now.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thanks Hazel, it's a work in progress forever is it not! Lovely about the tits, the birds do get so trusting. I have not posted anywhere other than the Loch Garten link since last week, as there has been much upset and sadness there.

• Lynn L said:
    I have not posted anywhere other than the Loch Garten link since last week, as there has been much upset and sadness there.

oh dear,  sorry to hear that,    I haven't been looking at that thread so will take a look.    

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Alan, will try if there is much to post.

Hazel, it all starts last week, first chick born Tuesday, the second on Thursday.....

• Lovely looking garden. I know how much time and effort I (should) put into keeping my tiny garden in order so you have a lot on your hands there. I always tell myself it's good for the wildlife when parts of the garden become overgrown, but when I cannot see the path then I know things have gone too far. I've had to move my strawberries because the slugs and snails kept on eating them. I preferred moving them because my garden is slug and snail friendly. I tell my neighbour (the one who is a gardener, not Mr Grumpy on the other side) to drop snails over the wall into my garden rather than putting down pellets. I saved several snails last year that had eaten the blue/green pellets. I put them in the sink and flushed them out one at a time. It was rather messy but all bar one survived.

Great to see Percy hand feeding.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Not being a gardener, I don't envy you the work involved to keep it looking like that! I claim the dandelions in my lawn are good for the goldfinches :)

I wonder if Percy will bring his harem along too, later. You could soon have a crowd if he does!

Nige   Flickr

• Wow Catlady, "litle" garden you say, seems like a visit to Specsavers is needed!!!!   You could easily throw a rugby match in there.   A lot of work indeed, but what a brilliant space to plant out and feed the birds in, I'm sure you get a lot of pleasure out of it.  

PS read a bit about Loch Garten yesterday but as you say it isn't a happy time.

Lot to learn

• Thanks folks

Paul, I have bits here and there that are wild, as it is the country and should look like that. Saving the pigeons and other birdies and now the SLUGS, my that's dedication!

NIgel, I already have two males, Percy, as in the photo, fat Percy who is twice the size and has become tame and flighty Percy who still waddles away as soon as you are about. They bring 3 ladies about, one of which is getting tame!

Gaynor, A tennis match maybe! Yes a lot of work, but I do enjoy it, even although the body tells me different some times. Very sad at LG at the moment.

• Good aftrnoon all, well what a surprise this morning on opening the curtains! Snow was forcast but I did not think we would have so much. I took some photos just to let you see how different it all looks when draped in white! Once I had fed the birds there were around 50 finches Goldies and chaffies and some Siskins, 2 robins, unsure if they are Mr and Mrs yet, not so much chasing going on and they were sitting not far apart. Sparrows, dunnocks, 5 blackbirds ( the school bullies), collard dove and a partridge in a pear tree, Oops sorry I mean Mrs Percy Phesant!

You can see the spring bulbs coming through.

The Cotoneaster is laden with red berries.

The last three were taken trough the garage window, hence odd colour.

Pity it was not the GBW today, hope you enjoyed. CL.

• I wonder which species of bird made those footprints by the flower pots? The garden looks wonderful with that layer of snow. Can't wait to see what appears from the ground over the coming weeks and months.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Thanks MC, that was the Haggis Boot Bird, we have them here you know!