Advice on buying a scope

I'm keen to buy a scope but only have a small budget. A quick trawl of the net has identified a couple of options - Barr and Stroud Sahara 20-60x80 and Praktica 20-60x77 both about £100. I would be grateful advice along the lines of - are scopes worth buying at this price (I appreciate you get what you pay in this field)? Should I save my money and save up for a more expensive scope (RSPB/Viking)? Does anyone own either of these scopes and what's their view of them. 

Thanks in anticipation.

Jeff. 

• Hi-

check back through the GEAR GUIDE for advice postings.

Secondhand can often be a good option

S

Focus Optics currently have a USED Kowa TS 614- and KOWA TSN 824- both great first scopes :) S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Hi Jeff to be honest mate if I were you I would save up a bit more and get a better scope. Like you say RSPB/Viking or Opticron would be my recomendations for 2/300 quid. I have had the budget cheeper scopes in the past and they really didn't do it for me. Obviously we would all love to own Leica or Swarovski bins and scopes, but, if like me....as much chance of that happening as Hell freezing over LOL

Feed The Birds....not the cats!!!!

I know....my spelling's crap !!

• The Barr and Stroud did have a reasonable review in one of the birding monthlies recently but as you point out yourself it is a budget model.For myself I find Opticron optics good value for money but you must try before you buy which is not east if buying off the net.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Optics are one of those things you're likely to have for a long time and as already suggsted we can't all afford to spend big on the top names however I would advise getting the best you can afford and perhaps saving up a little more. A £250 or 300 scope would be significantly better than a lower budget ones but there is also the law of diminishing returns, a £2000 scope won't be a whole lot better than a £1000 one so you have to decide what's best for you over the long term.

On a side note my cheaper scope which has served me quite well developed a crack in the mounting joint so I'm now trying to convince the wife what good value Swarovski scopes are!

• Sunrider said:

On a side note my cheaper scope which has served me quite well developed a crack in the mounting joint so I'm now trying to convince the wife what good value Swarovski scopes are!

Oh dear,maybe an early addition to the Christmas wish list or an extra early letter to Santa,serious money there.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi-

there are good secondhand Opticrons and old Kowas out there -  try Focus Optics, In focus, Warehouse express, Cley Spy   websites etc  

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Thanks to all for the advice. I've a decision to make!

• Hi-

a quick personal view- IN ASCENDING ORDER OF COST

1- second hand scopes-  Opticron,  Kowa TSN1,2,3,4  or 611 or 612

2- Viking or RSPB used or new

3- New Opticron , Bushnell Legend,

4- Vortex Razor

5- Nikon  ED50

6- Swarovski, leica, Zeiss, 65 or 80 mm

7- Kowa 88mm

Remember- most birders prefer an angled scope :)

for used equip check websites of Kay optical, LCE, In focus, Focus Optics etc :)

S

• Hi-

a top tip-

when buying a scope or pair of bins TRY SEVERAL  of the same model.

There is variation and quality control sometimes lets a duff one slip through.

:)

S