Field Note books

Hi-

Next to binoculars all those 'How to bird watch' books say you need a note book.

here's some examples of Field notebooks

From the left-

An old unused  pocket diary - some tape around the outside and it's surprisingly good. Takes bending  and being sat on well and is slim and light.    7x3 "

Standard stationers A6 type notebook. Often cheaply made and doesnt bend well and the covers tend to get soggy and mushy , if they dont stick into you! Provide your own rubber band.   6x4"

The 'policeman's notebook' type,  cheap and neat and some say 'the right way up'.  Found in stationers/ office suppliers etc. Handy elastic band. Small and dinky.   5x3"

The purpose made notebook- expensive but lovely to use. Comes with a bird list inside at the front and elastic band.  5.75 x 3.75 "

S

ps- Alwych make a highly regarded note book but despite several efforts over several months I could not get hold of one- they are always out of stock lately.

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Unknown said:
    For interest because I cant draw I had taken to copying a bird picture off the internet, turning it into black and white and reducing the intensity leaving in effect a line drawing.  I did this for several bird families and printed that onto labels that I could stick in the book in case I needed to note down those plumage details.

That is very inventive/creative, Bob.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• ClaireM said:

For interest because I cant draw I had taken to copying a bird picture off the internet, turning it into black and white and reducing the intensity leaving in effect a line drawing.  I did this for several bird families and printed that onto labels that I could stick in the book in case I needed to note down those plumage details.

[/quote]

It ends up looking something like this which I can print onto the 8 label size to stick into the log book

• I had  troubles with using a voice recorder,it was an old mini tape model and did not like the wet weather and the record and play buttons were too close together,also I got funny looks talking into the thing,this was before everyone talked to their mobile phones.This sent me back to the old pen and paper route and then download onto the computer.

I like Bobs idea of bird templates,I too am useless at drawing birds in fact my 16 month old grandson is better at it than me with his thick crayons,come to think of it his bird i.d. is probably better than mine as well.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 23/06/2011 05:36 in reply to Seaman

Like the idea of Bird templates as it is easier to add the colouration for ID purposes without all the fiddle of drawing a bird in the first place

Nice one Bob

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Maybe there is a market here for a pocket size book with blank bird templates in of various bird shapes,opening for some young entrepreneur.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I think Bill Oddie used to pre-draw bunting outlines in his notebook to fill in but he got fed up with it since he had to fit a plumage of a duck etc into a bunting silhouette!

'Dip a dee dah, dip a dee ay, we're not seeing any birds to-day...'

• Wendy S said:

Maybe there is a market here for a pocket size book with blank bird templates in of various bird shapes,opening for some young entrepreneur.

Hi-

if you need them, why not trace some shapes from a field guide (  warbler, finch, wader)  into your note book. ?

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Yeah,thats an option but I was looking for the lazy way out

Pete