Is the RSPB getting too out of touch with it's membership?

I know that it is a difficult balancing act between money on projects and money on administration but there are times, like now, when I find the RSPB gives the impression that your membership is not of importance.  I have been a member for the last 30 years, 15 of those as a fellow.  In that time, apart from the membership fees,  I dread to think how much I have donated in response to appeals, purchases through the shop and from the shops on site: certainly my collection of bird books, which I could have bought cheaper elsewhere, were almost all purchased in RSPB reserve shops where they hold such stocks.

Three months ago I wrote to the RSPB asking for some help on a project I have started up to monitor the health and well-being of the Marsh Tit population in an area known as the Braydon Forest in North Wiltshire.  This is a red-listed bird and I am looking at habitat preferences within the area with the Forestry Commission and the Wildlife Trust looking to use the information I gather to inform their management decisions.  No small responsibility.

The Wiltshire Wildlife Trust and the Forestry Commission have been really helpful in allowing me access to their land and some support of a financial nature to mitigate the costs of running such a project.  This winter I have spent over £1,000 on supplementary feeding the birdlife in the area, £100 on ringing materials specifically for this project, and my request of the RSPB was for some sort of bulk purchase agreement for feed and feeders to help mitigate those costs going forward.

I am not arrogant, had I had a reply saying that there was nothing they could do, not a problem: I know they have their own priorities.  What I cannot stand is the complete ignoring of my letter and follow up e-mail sent two weeks ago.  My membership is due for renewal in April: reluctantly I might just have to let it lapse and put the money into my own project: all for want of a bit of common courtesy.

Simon Tucker

• Hi Doggie -  I had to do that regardless, as I am maintaining 8 feeding stations with nyjer, seed and peanuts at each and  the RSPB prices are very high, but I would rather put the money into the RSPB, if we can come to an agreement: which is why I wrote to them.  I did buy all of the additional seed and nyjer feeders from them.  I only got the agreement from the Forestry Commission for the 5 feeding stations on their land, which has boosted my costs hugely, at the beginning of December and had to order some food in then - but knowing I am likely to spend about £1,000 per annum over the life of the project I would rather that went to the RSPB.  The project is initially for 5 years, hopefully extending to 10, by which time I will have retired and be unable to continue to fund my passion at the same level.

Simon Tucker