Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Linnets

I had a female Linnet on my seed feeders today, it's the first time i've seen one, let alone here !

Does anyone else get them on the feeders ?

There are farms near here and parks and woods so they'll be from these areas and calling in here for a quick snack !!!

• Fabulous photo David, lovely and clear.  Here is one of 'my' linnets -

• Great photos David and SB, and it's very useful to have the two together for comparison purposes. I have not seen either bird yet so thank you both for sharing yours.

• Thankd David and SB for the lovely photos - likewise I have never seen either, I can quite easily understand how the two can be confused.

• The photos confirmed for me that I DID see both a linnet and a redpoll on Angelsey last year! (After my mistake with the 'coot' I am beginning to doubt my powers of observation)

•  

Hi,

referring to your gardens comment :)

the problem with books is , they usually have about 5 lines to describe a birds habitat and 'Gardens' is such a wide definition. A suburban garden can be a small patch of grass and a patio and a rural garden could be a cricket pitch (22 yards) sized lawn backing onto fields with a ditch as a border and a copse 100 yards away :)

:)

S

• That is so true Seymour, my Mums garden is huge which backs onto woodland, and the woodland backs onto a country park, she doesn't have it fenced off, so gets alot of visitors which wouldn't be regarded as visitors to gardens she gets deer and rabbits quite often grazing in the garden and birds galore. She is so lucky.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 26/02/2010 19:20 in reply to davidmelville

Hi David and SB

Great to see you once more Dave {smile}

Well done for your comparsion pictures of the Redpoll and Linnet

I have heard of Linnets appearing on Garden Feeders but only if the weather is very cold.

Last time I ever saw Linnets was at Montrose, Scotland.  There was a large flock sitting on utility wires close to the track to the Lighthouse.  They have the slightest pink blush on their chests, and are less colourful than Redpolls.

One thing I did notice that they like to remain together as a group of birds and are seldom apart from each other - safety in numbers comes to mind.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Nicki C said:
    I have heard of Linnets appearing on Garden Feeders but only if the weather is very cold.

Hi Kathy

Well this year should certainly qualify then :-(

Thanks to Dave & SB for showing us both so that we can compare.

Best wishes Chris

• Hi Redwing,

Lucky you, I have never had a Linnet in the garden.  I only saw my first ones last year doing a farm survey.

• The one female Linnet has now increased to two .... she's brought her friend along  !!!

They join the Green, Gold and Chaffinches quite happily and enjoy the sunflower hearts that are hung up.

Today we've gale force winds and the feeders are being flung all over the place, the birds were trying to hang on and fluttering to keep balanced but they gave up in the early afternoon - poor things.

More gales forecast for the next few days too, boo hoo !!!