Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

The antics of Starlings in our gardens

Anonymous
Anonymous

Hi there

I have to admit that I do love our Starlings even although they are brisk with their comings and goings in our gardens

They have their own little comical ways of entertaining us when it comes to feeding from our bird feeders.

Antics include throwing their food about in the air - Cheerio Cereal is ideal for some loop-de-loop with the beak.

A good peck at other birds such as Blackbirds so they can move in on the foodstuffs with minumum effort.

A great love of Tesco's Scones which they adore, and hoover up in front of your eyes, Place one out, and see it go in minutes.

Total confidence with sitting in a cramped Window Feeder while having its fill without feeling stressed at all

How many Starling can you get on one feeder a lot by all accounts as I have seen the live action  shots (wish I had a photo or two to share)  - 10 on my large feeder so far all fighting with one another for their feeding patch - Sharing is not a Starling thing - they like to hold their own.

Now how you not stop in your tracks to listen to a Starling sitting on a TV Ariel wildly singing with their madcap songs.

So many little quirks to be noticed in one day. Of course not to mention their stunning plumage.

What have you noticed about our Feathered Starling friends

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Heron77 said:
    From a personal garden point of view, starlings are the birds that I feel encouraged many of the other species to feed in the garden.  I feel in a funny sort of way that the starlings are partly responsible for species such as great spotted woodpecker, siskin, and goldfinch.

Funny you should say that because my little group of starlings are always the first to arrive, following almost instantly by my colony of sparrows. It is almost like the sparrows are waiting for the starlings to guide them to the food. However, the starlings never bring woodpeckers or siskins to my garden!

Paul, your love for these wonderful birds is clear to see. Long may they continue to brighten our lives.

Birdmum - did your woodpigeon ever recover? Maybe your Little Billy No Mates is still visiting your garden along with his friends.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 31/12/2009 05:05 in reply to Heron77

Hi Paul

Thank you for your long reply, and your comments about the 'Starling' thread. Thank you for saying kind things about my photographs to. {smile}

I remember going to Cumbernauld town years ago in the 70's where my father would do surveys of the local peat bogs in the area.  He would tell companies how much peat there was to dig up, and sell as a growing commodities in those times - over 30 years ago.  Now I am sure the peat bogs in the area will be protected as areas of SSSI's - nothing would surprise me in the slightest.  No more distruction of peat bogs. {thoughful}

The Cumbernauld Bus Station, as you have said that will be another place of Starling frolics anyday - cheeky chappies they are.

The confidence that is put forward by the Starlings must encourage other species into a garden area.  They have such confidence and other birds must sense that and react to the Starlings view of bird feeders.  Lots of great food, and endless entertainment.

Love to hear about your experience about feeding the Starlings live Mealworms to their youngsters (you brave soul handling the wigglies).  To see youngsters is a great delight too. {smile}.  The youngsters will get to know your garden and take to the feeding areas like it is their 'cafe' in the wilderness.

Starlings must pass on their feeding experiences to their youngsters too, and that is a good thing to happen.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Heron77 said:

Hi Blackbird.

What a fantastic thread and thanks very much for starting this topic.  Brilliant photos.  :-)

To put it simply, starlings are one of my main reasons for joining the RSPB.  When I first looked on the RSPB website a couple of years or so ago, I couldn't believe that something we all tended to take for granted was in such serious decline.  To be honest I don't think town or city centres have the same character without starlings.  Even the small group that roosts under the bridge at the Cumbernauld town centre bus stop, offers great entertainment whenever I find myself there in the winter months.

I live roughly halfway between Glasgow and Cumbernauld and am quite lucky to have fairly good numbers of these fantastically entertaining little birds.  Whenever anyone enters my local area there's a good chance they'll be greeted by some starlings, open-beak probing, singing, frolacking, confidently walking, and all the great ways they entertain us.

From a personal garden point of view, starlings are the birds that I feel encouraged many of the other species to feed in the garden.  I feel in a funny sort of way that the starlings are partly responsible for species such as great spotted woodpecker, siskin, and goldfinch.

It's wonderful watching them feed and a gaurnteed wildlife spactacle every morning as the food is put out they line up on overhead phone wires, shrubs, trees, washing lines.  Then the feeding frenzy begins.  Absolutely wonderful entertainmet, and I'm fairly certain I've managed to count between 30 and 40 in my own and neighbouring gardens.  Love the imperssonations and the little musical solos they do.  There's one of my "local" starlings does a fantastic swallow impression.

They are fanastically colourful birds at close viewing and seem to look their best in sunshine after bathing (great fun) or a rain shower.  They do eat lots of food and are hillarious rumaging through the bird table and ground tables, searching for their favourite morsels, fatty foods are much loved by starlings, and of course they adore fruit.  I remember during the 2008 breeding season, I was able to afford some live mealworms, which the starlings loved to bits.  Seeing them bring their fledgelings to the garden a few weeks later was a wonderful experience.

Sorry for rambling on a bit much but the starling is a wonderfully adaptable wee bird and full of great character, and stunning plumage.  They are guarnteed to provide lots of entertainment whether in town or countryside.

Paul.

• Excellent thread Blackbird :o)

I did write a reply earlier on today but think there was a server problem and I lost it!

Starlings are certainly characters that's for sure, its been a real pleasure hearing other people's tales about them in their gardens.  Its amazing how we all sort of have the same antics in common, lol!

We get regular visits from many Starlings in our garden - the most we've ever had is 42!  Can you imagine the commotion  in our garden?!

They're so entertaining to watch with their running around and squabbling - although admittedly I get annoyed at times with them, but don't know why as the other birds don't take any notice of them really.

There aren't any telegraph poles or television ariels up here but I do love to hear them in the neighbour's confier.  This tree is a good 50 feet tall and on a summer's night I like to sit on the patio and listen to them murmuring and chattering away from inside - its magic!

I'd like to share a photo but keep getting an error message.

• My little hop-a-long starling with the broken leg has been again today. He has found my front garden ground feeder, thank goodness, so no longer needs to do a crash landing on my mesh tray on the fence. He had some apple, sultanas, and rather a lot of my special mix (a mix of just about everything). I watched him hop along the ground, and he seemed fine, and was able to take off normally to sit in the tree having a good groom before returning for another course.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 02/01/2010 06:02 in reply to Paul E

Hi Paul E

Thank you for your reply once more. It is great to hear from other people who are interested in our birds - that is what brings us together on this Forum.

Yes, there is an on-going server problem at the moment and I have got to the stage that I save all my postings in 'Word' just in case the posting is rejected - never mind admin will be back soon and put things back in order once more

It is sad that you do not get the full Starling experience of the birds sitting on a TV Ariel close by. I am always wary about pointing cameras at peoples house as it could be taken the wrong way. So we have to be subtle with our camera's.

There is a photo opportunity in my house with a 'future' picture of Starling on the roof next door.  A kink in the bathroom window is enough to get a decent photo (without upsetting our neighbours)  I will get one yet and post it here.

My goodness 42 Starlings is a lot of Starlings to have in your garden.  I could see all of the food disappearing very fast in one sitting.  Like having a mini flock of your own.  Starling are not shy of Window Feeders and will use them happily too.

I have seen Starlings pecking at other birds on the ground feeders, and that beak is something else - it is so sharp.

Love to share any 'Starling' pictures that you have providing as you say you can post them.

Hope that this post is accepted now -  touch wood

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Hi Blackbird,

I know what you mean about missing out on seeing the Starlings sitting chattering away from tv ariels, here the phone lines run underground and the ariels are in the attics.

Most of the photos I take are from the same angle and same window - I don't want to risk another in case a neighbour gets funny about it.

Here is a photo of the Starlings from yesterday, they're looking as striking as ever in their winter plumage.  Oh and not forgetting that very sharp looking beak!  I wouldn't want to be on the end of that.

Hope this photo doesn't turn out too large.  I'm still getting to grips with the forum set up here.

• Great photo Paul.

I have to tell you all about one of my starlings today.

I was watching from an upstairs window so had a good view. I have a large barrel tub with shrubs in, placed next to log roll. There is a gap between the barrel and the log roll, but today the gap was bridged by a clump of snow. Yes, you've guessed. The starling landed on the bridge, which gave way, and he belly flopped to the ground. He recovered quickly and perched on the log roll, looking at his mates as if to say "did you see that brilliant double somersault with two twists? I have been practicing that for ages".

I only wish I'd had a video.

• Good news Sparrow - long may he hop along!

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 06/01/2010 03:25 in reply to Sparrow

Glad he's doing fine Sparrow!

I had a record number since the summer. About 50 starlings when I put the 2nd lot of food out at lunch.

Here's just a handful squabbling on the table over suet pellets & mealworms.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 06/01/2010 03:41 in reply to Paul E

Hi Paul

Superb pictures Paul - love them whatever the size they are.

Luckily I never had to deal with birds with any injuries so tend not to think of the worst serario with them - depending on your point of view - touch wood!

I think birds are a lot more 'robust' then we make them out to be.

What 'foodstuffs' are the birds eating from your feeder?

Regards

Kathy and Dave