Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

The antics of Starlings in our gardens

Anonymous
Anonymous

Hi there

I have to admit that I do love our Starlings even although they are brisk with their comings and goings in our gardens

They have their own little comical ways of entertaining us when it comes to feeding from our bird feeders.

Antics include throwing their food about in the air - Cheerio Cereal is ideal for some loop-de-loop with the beak.

A good peck at other birds such as Blackbirds so they can move in on the foodstuffs with minumum effort.

A great love of Tesco's Scones which they adore, and hoover up in front of your eyes, Place one out, and see it go in minutes.

Total confidence with sitting in a cramped Window Feeder while having its fill without feeling stressed at all

How many Starling can you get on one feeder a lot by all accounts as I have seen the live action  shots (wish I had a photo or two to share)  - 10 on my large feeder so far all fighting with one another for their feeding patch - Sharing is not a Starling thing - they like to hold their own.

Now how you not stop in your tracks to listen to a Starling sitting on a TV Ariel wildly singing with their madcap songs.

So many little quirks to be noticed in one day. Of course not to mention their stunning plumage.

What have you noticed about our Feathered Starling friends

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• My Starlings enjoying lunch....

All doing ok today.  

• Lovely pics Juno. I love the squirrel as well.

• I absolutely love starlings ive named a couple Bob and Brenda- they all keep me entertained daily. When I am in the garden they will just come and feed and are not phased at all. Its been known I have called one from the roof top and its swooped down. I'll top the food up as i know they are taking lots of food to their chicks now and they'll be waiting on the fence then start to make noises. It's very reassuring and makes me feel like they appreciate the assistance to get extra nutrients. They all have their own little personalities and one of my fave moments to watch is them bathing in the bird bath. Especially 2 of them at the same time ha ha. Such joy like they have no cares in the world.