Twenty-plume moth

Didn't know where to post this really...

Anyway, this moth was in our office kitchen today! Only about 1.5 cm across but wow, what a moth! Just had to share it! :-)

Against the window with the light behind, you can see the 'plumes' quite clearly! Gorgeous!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• Fabulous moth!  Haven't seen one of those before.

There is something new to learn everyday...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skylark58/

• In reply to Sarum Bat:

Amazing! I have certainly never seen one like that either. I have just looked it up though and there's always hope as apparently it likes honeysuckle (Lonicera) and I have several in my garden and yard.

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• In reply to Squirrel:

I am sure I would have remembered seeing one like that. Lovely photograph. Shows all the detail. Thanks.

• In reply to Brenda H:

Wow cool photo!  I've seen a plume moth but it was a white one...

Millie & Fly the Border Collies

• In reply to KatTai:

That’s beautiful, I can’t say I’ve ever seen one of those before. I love spotting unusual insects/animals I’ve never seen before, I’m trying to get into the habit of always carrying a camera (I’m failing miserably so far)..

I spotted this on a bramble a week or so ago, luckily it hung round long enough for me to get the camera

Build it and they will come.

• In reply to Wildlife friendly:

Hi MarJus, lovely photo - the moth is beautiful (I had a top once exactly the same design as the wings between the spines!).

WF - I know what you mean about getting the photo - I tried the same sort of thing but by the time, I'd got the camera, checked the exposure, zoom, stabilising without a tripod, the poor thing died of old age!

Regards

Kerry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kezmo6310/

• Hi MarJus,

Lovely photos of a very good looking moth, also you never know where or when you can find unsual

wildlife,

regards

Regards  Derek

• In reply to NandW:

Hi WF - a great photo from you as well.

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

In reply to Squirrel:

hi MarJus

Wonder what that lovely Moth is.  He is quite a speciman?

Wonder why he has spread his wings out as he has.

WF - another beautiful speciman to behold,  Wonder what it is?

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• In reply to Anonymous:

Nicki C said:

hi MarJus

Wonder what that lovely Moth is.  He is quite a speciman?

Hi Kathy

It's a Twenty-plume Moth