Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Red Kite

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so here goes.

Over the last few weeks I have been lucky enough to see a Red Kite circling at the rear of where I work in Hatfield. This inspired me to join. I wondered if anyone else has seen one.  I thought they were endangered at one time. Perhaps this is a sign that their numbers are increasing?

• While writing this reply I can hear a Red Kite calling. This particular bird loves to sit at the top of a neighbours tree, we see it every day, it often has arguments with a pair of Magpies who I believe had a nest in  the tree.  The Red Kite has a yellow tag which says 5C and I have been told it’s probably a bird from a breeding programme at Hatfield House.  It is wonderful to watch it circling around. 

• That's lovely you have red kites near you! Such awe-inspiring birds, and the success story of their reintroduction is amazing. Some numbers if you're interested:

• Early 1900s – only about 5 breeding pairs left in the whole of the UK, all of them in Wales
    • 1980s – only around 50 breeding pairs of red kites, again all in Wales
    • 1989 – reintroduction programme starts
    • Now – we now have about10% of the global population! In 2017 there were about 6,000 breeding pairs, and now it’s very likely closer to 10,000.
  • Red kite seen in Norfolk near Norwich 1 week ago, Second one i have seen here the other 3 yrs ago.. Thorpe wods area lots of Buzzards there, but this definitely a Kite...