Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Blue Tit

I have noticed some wonderful Blue Tit photos on this site and from many different people. I would like to enter two into an all comers beauty contest.

contestant one. 

A little bit pale but with a twinkle in his eye!

contestant two

Works hard for a living!

Contestant three??

• Super pics Marjus - and what a lovely story. It's always good to read a happy ending.

Squirrel

• Hello Marjus, your pictures are great number two brilliant, recommend double click for close up fantastic.

• lovely shots Marjus, the 2nd one is a top photo,

• You guys (and gals) out there are so good with the camera!

• What fantastic shots, well done, I'm not sure I could pick an outright winner.

The OH has just bought me a SLR camera, all I’ve done so far is look at it in total bewilderment and plodded on with my old “point and shoot”. These photos have inspired me to at least learn how to switch it on.

• A few years ago MarJus I had a similar experience with a Firecrest.  I was carrying out the re-wire of a large detached house in Helston, Cornwall.  It's front entrance door was flanked either side by bay windows.  I arrived to unlock one morning and heard a "plop" directly behind me.  I turned to find a Firecrest laying "out cold" on the gravel path.  Was it dead?  Would it survive it's impact with the bay window?

I carefully picked the little mite up and found a cardboard box which I "stuffed" with towels and paper (if I remember correctly?).  He was laid in the box and left out of harm's way in the warmth of the morning sunshine.  It was only a matter of minutes (as I was going in and out with tools, etc.) before he "came to" and flew off.  What a great start to a day that was!  And yes - a happy ending :-)

I had seen Goldcrests rarely before that, but had never seen a Firecrest - let alone handle or rescue one :-)))

• Thanks all!

Wow that's a great story sing2sleep! What a privilege! I've seen goldcrests but never a firecrest!

It is amazing how these seemingly delicate birds recover from these impacts!!

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 21/09/2009 21:16 in reply to Rockwolf

Hi Marjas

First of all all pictures on this thread have been noted and they are all beautiful.

Heron - what can I say - fabulous pictures any day!!!!!!!  All pictures on this thread are top notch in my eyes. {thumbs up}

Thank you for sharing you beautiful pictures of your Blue tits.

'Singtosleep', I would report your finding to the local bodies in your area.

Firecrests are just so rare these days.   My partner and I have seen 2 birds local to us, and they are monitored very heavily indeed. {serious stuff}

So Firecrests are very protected indeed.

Anyway carry on producing all those fabulous Blue Tit pictures we all love to see any day,

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Rockwolf said:

Thanks all!

Wow that's a great story sing2sleep! What a privilege! I've seen goldcrests but never a firecrest!

It is amazing how these seemingly delicate birds recover from these impacts!!

• I hope I haven't misled anyone on here.  My story is perfectly true re: Firecrest.  But - I am at an age now where, when I say "a few years ago" it could be anything from last year, to back when I was in short trousers  :-)))

I remember the incident vividly because, I suppose, it was just so amazing and unbelievable.  And yes - I admit to feeling privileged to be there at that time in that place.  Remarkable!    I don't think however it would be much use notifying anyone now about the "event" because it could have been over 5 years ago (and that's a conservative estimate as well).  :-)

On another subject and while we are on a thread with such fantastic photos;  Countryfile are picking their pictures to appear on the 2010 calendar which is produced each year to raise money for (I think) the "Children in Need" charity.

• Maybe the powers-that-be should produce a forum photo calendar!