Birds in Bury

Since placing several bird feeders and bird baths in our back garden we seen a wonderful variety of daily visitors all year round.

Blackbirds, Sparrowhawk, Coal Tits, Collard Doves, Wood Pigeons, Crows, Blue Tits, Magpies, Pied Wagtails, Sparrows, House Wrens, Starlings and Robins.

I encourage everyone to invest in a small feeder, this will ensure British bird life flourishes and that our winged friends have a regular supply of food all year round. Not to mention the fun you'll have watching their funny and sometimes unusual behaviour. Do it!

• Nice montage. I suspect that most people on this forum have bird feeders if they have gardens or feed birds in other ways.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Nice photos. Just a point of order. Nearly all your species photographed do make direct or in the sparrowhawk case indirect, use of supplementary 24x7x365 feeding. It does not, however ensure that British bird life flourishes. Many of the struggling species have nothing to do with manual feeding. Some infact are directly suffering as a result of it due to widespread disease and direct competition. UK Birds struggling, but getting no benefit from feeding (and the list is long) include curlew, house martin, swift, nightingale, grasshopper warbler, hen harrier, kittiwake, spotted flycatcher etc etc. The list is wide ranging and long.

There are lots of reasons to feed birds. I can see why some people do so. To think it's to ensure British birds flourish though is inaccurate.
  • In reply to TeeJay:

I hope they do.