Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Nice Little visitor

Never had a redwing visit my garden before. Dont think the robin was too happy!

• Certainly a lovely visitor to have in your garden Linda, they will be looking for berries and worms.
  • yes I have a shrub in the corner with berries on it. Maybe there will be more new visitors now the pigeons have vacated my garden and the little birds get peace. I love all bird but pigeons just take over and I tried everything. Even the sparrowhark helped a few times.
  • Keep a lookout for more than one Redwing as they tend to travel in flocks, if there are still more berries you will probably see it again. Good luck and enjoy your birdwatching.
  • Thanks I did see more in the trees behind my garden but only the one came in to the garden.
    Bird watching is part of the daily routine now no matter what the weather. Is there any advice you can give me on what to plant in the garden to attract the birds . My gardern is pretty big outlined with evergreens trees , a few evergreen shrubs and a little pond so its a blank canvas really.
    Many thanks
  • Lovely surprise for you (and the Robin).
  • Linda257 said:
    Is there any advice you can give me on what to plant in the garden to attract the birds .

Depending on soil type, position sun or shade wise there are a number of plant you could add to your garden to attract wildlife.     Sounds like you have a good sized garden so here's a few ideas:     It's good to attract bees and hoverflies as well as birds and there are lots of pollinator plants you could add.   

Rowan Trees (have lovely berries for those Redwings   also berry bearing Holly bushes, Cotoneaster,  Ribes (flowering currant)  Buddleia,  Teasel

Perennials such as Purple Loosestrife which would be suitable near your pond area,  marsh marigold,  

Other plants/flowers  are Scabious, Astrantia,  Verbena, Red Valerian, Erysimum,  Poppies, Corn Marigold,  Foxglove,  Echinacea 

That gives you something to be going on with !!!      Maybe other forum members can add their favourite wildlife attracting plants.      It's great that you have a pond as it has to be one of the very best additions you can have in a garden, doesn't matter whether its large or just a barrel with water in it   !

• Soil is awful as its an old iron works site! Took me 3 days just to dig out for small pond as its full of broken bricks , metal and allsorts

Much appreciate all your advice and can't wait to get started
  • If your soil is dreadful, you could use raised beds to grow in. I’ve had a lot of success with wildflower seeds in them.

I have been amazed at the number of different insects enjoying my blueberry bushes which blossom in succession over quite a long time. The bees and hoverflies cannot resist them! The blackbirds enjoys the berries as much as I do.
  • Hi Linda, very nice to see a Redwing in the garden, good luck with planting the area up this Spring, Hazy has given you good advice, I would also add Lavender as it attracts the bees and butterflies, and is not particular about the soil really, also the scent is fabulous.
  • Many thanks for your reply,

I do get a lot of variety birds in the garden but thats only due to puting out feeders which the "pigeon mafia" take over so this is why I wish to plant a natural source of food for birds and insects to enjoy and also for me to enjoy taking pictures of them as I have ran out of patience with the pigeons!

I think raised beds shall be the best option