Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Visiting Greenfinches

Greenfinches are very rare visitors to my garden these days. About 7 years ago they frequently spent time on the feeders, but once the school had their perimeter trees cut down, the Greenies and Chaffies disappeared. A day or so back, I heard the distinctive sound of a male Greenfinch and spotted one up in the holly tree. I was unable to get any photos but hoped he would return. He (or another male) appeared again today, as did a female. I photographed him from the garden, but had to take pictures of her from indoors and from quite a distance. The Pigeon Mafia were in the garden in great numbers, so opening the kitchen door would have spooked them and in turn the finch. Here are the photos that I did manage to take. Hope you like them.

• Lovely MC, good that the Greenfinches have returned to you. We have them on occassions, but not seen any for a while now.
  • Fab shots MC We have intermittent greenfinch, 2 or 3 will come for 3 or 4 days, then we won't see any again for a couple of weeks, and unlike the goldies and chaffies, they don't stop for long. Where the other finches will be at the feeders pretty much all day, the greenfinch stay for maybe half an hour (which means of course, they may not be intermittent, just we don't see their fleeting visits!)