Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Home made bog suggestions

So, assuming I can actually attract frogs into my garden once our little washing up bowl pond has been constructed , I'm wondering if I could make one or two boggy areas using washing up bowls also, to provide a nice area that's suitable for them aside from the water. Finding plenty of how tos regarding the mini ponds but nothing really on making a bog. Any suggestions regarding what substrates to use, materials, plants etc all greatly received. Many thanks ,Nikkie x

• Ask around on your Freecycle if anyone has an old pond liner lying around. Doesn't matter if it's damaged. If it looks too intact when you get it, put a garden fork through it a few times. Then dig out a good amount of soil - you need to go deep here, not less than 50cm and preferably 80cm, lay in the liner, and then cover it with the soil. It'll retail enough water to keep things above it pretty moist, but it'll have some drainage so it doesn't become stagnant and awful.
  • Sadly I have no ground to dig up. I have a concrete garden with all my plants in containers, which is why I'm looking to create one in a container too.