Home made bog suggestions

So, assuming I can actually attract frogs into my garden once our little washing up bowl pond has been constructed , I'm wondering if I could make one or two boggy areas using washing up bowls also, to provide a nice area that's suitable for them aside from the water. Finding plenty of how tos regarding the mini ponds but nothing really on making a bog. Any suggestions regarding what substrates to use, materials, plants etc all greatly received. Many thanks ,Nikkie x

Flicr - My Photos

• Hi Nikkie me again ( there are more people on here than me..or there was)

I don't know anything about bog gardens but have thought about getting one, so I did a bit of googling and came up with this..bog garden

I always thought one of these would look nice Tub

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Hi again Alan, thanks for the link. Something like that would definitely do the job! I'm assuming I would need some kind of aquatic soil to soak to a boggy consistency. I can probably obtain bog plants online and I've plenty of plant pots to pop in as a little sheltered home. My husband works on construction sites so can provide me with rocks, bricks and gravel to build around and inside the pond and maybe a rock in the bog. I have a large tree that is not in my garden, but in the autumn my garden just gets bombed with leaves so I can gather some of these up to make a pile up a corner that may benefit. I forget what the tree is but I get all the helicopter seeds drop down in my garden off it.

Flicr - My Photos

• In reply to Nikkie:

I've found this

Many true bog plants are adapted to thrive in poor, nutrient-deprived soil; standard compost is generally too rich for them. If you want to cultivate bog-adapted plants, most sources suggest filling the bog with a mixture of peat moss and sand. However, a wide array of non-specialized bulbs, perennials and shrubs can also thrive in constantly moist conditions. If these are the plants you want to grow, fill your bog garden with a mixture of 50 percent excavated soil and 50 percent compost.

The type of soil you choose will depend on the kinds of plants your bog will support. In the next section, we'll explore different kinds of plants that work well in bog gardens.

From here https://home.howstuffworks.com/bog-garden3.htm

I think the tree could be a Sycamore or Ash Tree.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Nice link to the Bog Garden Alan, when I built my pond with a pre made mould any tub I used I filled it with garden soil and put any plants in this before and put gravel on top this keeps it in place, I never added any wildlife but they will come if they are around even though its only a very small pond I have had lots of wildlife.
    Bugs
    Frogs
    Newts
    Damselflies.

Jim

My Pictures

• In reply to Alan.:

Thats great Alan thankyou! I'll have a good look at that later once my little lady has fallen asleep.

Flicr - My Photos

• In reply to Nikkie:

Love that Robin shot on Flickr Nikkie.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Aww thankyou. I've taken loads but just a case of time going through them and putting them up. I have to snap alot of what comes in my garden through the window so not always the clearest. Looking forward to the spring and the weather warming up and I can sit outside and photograph them better. My neighbours bird box faces directly into my garden thanks to the wind, and I sat out last summer capturing the first flights of the baby blue tits inside. I'll have to dig those out and add them to the others.

Flicr - My Photos

• In reply to Alan.:

I've added a few more now with the baby blue tits and I also had 2 baby Robins last spring visit lots and got a few of them.

Flicr - My Photos

• In reply to Nikkie:

Love the young Robins, and it looks like you have a Micheala Strachan in the making there.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Haha yes she's moving in that direction it seems. Being so close to a nature reserve we often go for walks down there exploring. She has binoculars and a bug box to capture and study for a while. We had a butterfly kit last year and raised a bunch of caterpillars then watched the butterflies and fed them for a few days and then released them it the garden. Lovely little experience for her. Now she's wanting to bring the marshes into our back garden I think haha.

Flicr - My Photos