Bossy thrush and busy nuthatch

I have a solitary thrush visitng my garden at the moment to feast on the rowan berries.  I did not know how teritorial they are - it stands in my oak tree on watch and chases away everything that comes into the garden.  Are they always like this?

I also have a nuthatch  and have watched it taking sunflower seeds from the feeder and poking them into the crevices in the oak tree bark.  I didn't know that they did this either.

Parents
  • I think most of the resident thrushes are territorial when they get something to defend. A berry bush close to my house was protected for years by a pair of blackbirds. Oddly, they briefly tolerated a visiting song thrush, but wouldn't let any other local blackbirds anywhere near. So I guess the other thrushes will exhibit similar behaviour if they get hold of a good berry bush.

As Alan says, nuthatches do collect food and stash it away in crevices for later, so that's normal behaviour.

• I think most of the resident thrushes are territorial when they get something to defend. A berry bush close to my house was protected for years by a pair of blackbirds. Oddly, they briefly tolerated a visiting song thrush, but wouldn't let any other local blackbirds anywhere near. So I guess the other thrushes will exhibit similar behaviour if they get hold of a good berry bush.

As Alan says, nuthatches do collect food and stash it away in crevices for later, so that's normal behaviour.

Children
No Data