Simply Spiders

• In reply to TeeJay:

Its a type of jumping Spider TJ, probably Icius subinermis but could be a close relative. It's only 5mm so not too scary. I've been practising with my magnifier lens (Raynox) on the old Tamron 18-200 zoom lens & pleased with the results.

I'll look out a few others taken this year, our house is full of them!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

This is another Icius subinermis, they are very variable

& another jumping Spider Pseudeuophrys erratica

This one was about 4mm & may be Theridion melanurum but also has close relatives

& another of same species, they were both found in the corner bteween walls or wall & ceiling, a typical spot for this species apparantly

Shakey legs Spider, my name for Pholcus phalangioides

Then old blue eyes which was medium sized, Philodromus sp , photo taken with the old macro + raynox

This one hung around the sink area & can give a nasty bit, about 10mm front to back, Cheiracanthium mildei, again it may be a close relative

& a Zygiella sp possibly atrica

& finally Mangora acalypha

I've now sacked the cleaning lady! LOL

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Hazel C said:

That will be you then. LOL

They are amazing creatures but I would not be keen on sharing my house (or bed) with them.

Don't let Wendy see this latest post or she'll have a nervous breakdown.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to Noisette:

Aaaarrrrggghhhh!  Strategically placed conkers might help!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to TeeJay:

TeeJay said:

That will be you then. LOL

[/quote] Yes, any excuse not to do it!

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Wendy I don't really mind a spider or two but that last post even spooked me!!!!!   Going to find the tape measure now to see these mm as I still think in inches.

PS Hazel   I knew that first one was a jumping spider!!!

Lot to learn

• In reply to gaynorsl:

I've been hoping to find one of these.

A Nursery Web Spider (Pisaura Mirabilis) which, for me, is one of the best looking UK spiders. I thought I scared it off when I tried to get closer, then realised there were 3 all on different leaves within a couple of feet. This one is a little darker.

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

They bite you know Nige!!  Had one in my moth trap last week, got plenty in my garden, they make me jump!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Thanks for the reminder, one of my jumping spiders that live in the kitchen got a nice meal the other day

He was also very lucky when he jumped on the gas cooker while I was frying dinner, talk about jumping from frying pan into the fire! It was close!

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Quite a lovely little spider and with a meal nearly as big it is! Glad it didn't end up fried.

I tried to eject one from my kitchen (because I'm sure there's more to eat outside than in) but it refused to go and jumped before I got to the door! I shall have to re-catch it one day, put it in a makeshift studio and photo it, although it's just a common zebra spider.

Nige   Flickr