So Upset today

Over the road from me, and I mean just the road we had 12 or 13 huge conifers. It was the garden of The Oliver Twist in Wakefield. When I got up this morning they have all gone, and it would appear in the shredder. The oliver twist had been there for about 35 years and about another 10 on top of that. I got the blackbirds from there the robins from there, the long tailed tit, and god knows how much wildlife was in there I will never know, but we had plenty of birds in the conifers, and their would come to my garden to get fed and watered, sometimes a bath and sometimes we had a few squabbles between them, I am just so angry that they have destroyed them for what to build 14 houses on there, had we not had such a house shortage, he would not have been allowed to build on there. I complained last year because in march/April he pulled some trees out (not conifers) and but them in the shredder, I was upset then, when my brother said he was not allowed to do it, if it had nests in, I am almost sure the magpies were in that tree. But this is awful, really bad I think. Would the birds have managed to get out, or would they have stayed still frightened to move, none have been to my garden so far today. I hope he is not going to pull out the rest on the other side. Thanks for reading
  • Sorry to read trees have been removed for housing development. I have to put a positive spin on it though, despite being a bit of a nimby!

Now is the right time to have done it. No nesting and no bad weather, so birds can look for alternative shelter elsewhere. Vast majority of urban conifers are non native so of limited wildlife value (shelter as mentioned and potential nest site in Spring). The site sounds an urban location, which is where the focus on new housing should be, rather than greenbelt.

• In reply to Robbo:

Thanks Robbo, We do have a lot of fields round about on 2 sides of the Oliver Twist have a road then fields, on my side 2 houses facing the build on the other side 4 houses back on to the build. When I was stood on Notton Lane the other day and I watched a beautiful Pheasant walk out of the gate of the end house, crossed the road safely back to the field. My regret was I didn't have my camera. I just feel if folk are allowed to build, in this area then the wildlife will disappear, and this builder was only allowed because of the house shortage. It had been empty for about 8 or 9 years it was all fenced off for the car park, and NO damage was done to the building, so the wildlife had the run of the grounds, the children's play area the pond. I do know that a Bat survey was done, something I suppose.

• In reply to audnay:

It's always heart-renching when trees are cut down, at our last house we got back from shopping one day to find our neighbours removing a 50 year old oak on the border between our gardens (it was more in ours than theirs). Nothing we could do, but I was distraught & furious & said a lot of things I probably shouldn't. Luckily we've moved now.

Over here if a house is built on open land, for every 100m2 of garden you have to plant a tree. Do you have rules like that? If so you may get a nice variety of trees & shrubs in peoples gardens which hopefully will improve the biodiversity in general.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

Sorry to hear about the trees Audnay, but as has been said it is the correct time to do it, albeit still upsetting to yourself and others. Hopefully they will return to your garden where you can enjoy them. Could you put up some nesting boxes? That way you can watch at close range.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to Catlady:

Like the others have mentioned it is sad, the people opposite us cut a tree down 3 weeks or so ago. So far there lovely Acer is there.

J