Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

RSPB selling off land bequeathed to it for wild life

I am so angry to read today that the RSPB is selling off land In Cheshire to housing developers bequeathed to it for wildlife. The lady stated when it was bequeathed that it should never be built on, but the RSPB are disregarding this and selling it anyway for housing. Amongst others it is home to barn owls, tawny owls and lapwings. The RSPB claim the housing development will increase biodiversity. This is an utter disgrace and I for one will be cancelling my subscription and supporting a more worthy organisation. SHAME ON YOU RSPB.
  • Woodpecker

You're referring to this article in the Telegraph?

I think one has to bear in mind, that the story is seemingly being distributed by the You Forgot the Birds "campaign" - in reality a PR organisation set up by the grouse shooting industry* and fronted by Sir Ian Botham. The Telegraph, along with the Daily Mail, has recently republished a number of their press releases - see this blog by Martin Harper.

*or so YFtB say themselves - in fairness to the Grouse shooting industry, perhaps I should have added "elements of" 

• I must confess I would like to hear the full story behind this.  The Telegraph certainly can't be trusted to give a clear, unbiased account.

I also notice that the Telegraph, not unlike some of the recurring trolls who pop up on here, have chosen a Saturday to print this story.  It couldn't be that they don't want an instant response to their article, could it?

• Martin Harper has explained this on his blog at

www.rspb.org.uk/.../default.aspx

The group fronted by Ian Botham seems intent on making comments about the Rspb without the full story.  They did it last week including repeating comments that had already been overturned by the charity commission.  It is interesting to see the background of the various editors and then it becomes a bit clearer why this is happening.  

What they haven't commented on is why of 5 known harrier nests 4 males have disappeared.

• The story is also in today's Times - again referring to "You Forgot the Birds". Nice picture, but the caption doesn't actually state that it's of the land in question.

Nothing on the Daily Mail website, but I'm prepared to bet there will be something in tomorrow's Mail on Sunday - it would be a natural follow-up to this and this