Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Electronic Scaring Devices

I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with these little black boxes people seem to be increasingly using in their gardens, which emit electronic pulses and claim to deter all sorts of creatures from coming near, I am an avid bird-table feeder and a very near neighbour has one of these devices a few metres away pointed directly at my bird-table...it also emits a bright red light beam (or at least does in the dark) and flashing lights. I'm assuming it wont harm cats or dogs, although I dont actually know this, but my main concern is will it deter my birds from coming since this is clearly what she intends.(she already has various spinning and rattling home made things erected) I can hardly believe they are legal but again, assume they are. If anyone can shed any light I'd be most grateful. It does seem the number of birds visiting has decreased slightly but there seems to be no definitive info anywhere as to the effectiveness of them.
  • I've just bought a cat scared last week and I've just put battery's into the device although it can be connected by plug and cable into your mains in your house as well. I've found it working very very well, as I've had 1 cat that came into my garden and when it came into the vicinity of the cat scarer it shot off suddenly and at speed into a neighbours garden. It was the only cat scarer that is recommended by the RSPB and it is made by a separate company to the RSPB. So far it seems to work, but time will tell.

PS. It apparently only scares off cats and not other wild birds and animals.

• Oh thanks THOMO....presumably you bought this to frighten away cats and happy it works for you.  My concern however is whether it affects birds atall...have you noticed yourself whether it does bother them atall ? J

• It doesn't seem to bother the birds at all either on my bird table, bird bath or bird feeder. They seem quite happy and tests have been done on the equipment and it's only cats that can hear the high pitched frequency sound.

• Thankyou...that sounds encouraging.