Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

I think I have a pair!

I've been trying for 2 weeks to get a photo of a new visitor to my garden He's a beautiful Bullfinch. I grabbed my camera today and looking through the pictures, it seems he's brought his mate!

• It looks like they might be here to stay :)

I went out yesterday and bought some special food for them and got one of those rose arches like another forumer has and sat down to watch my new 'Bird Diner'. All day yesterday there was only the overweight Dunnock visiting so I thought I had scared all my other birds away. This morning I looked out of the window and there they were on the table! They still haven't found the nigella seed and they won't let any other bird near the table as the poor Robin will tell you. He tried several times to get on the table but was chased off by the female. I can't see much housework getting done today unless it involves standing by the kitchen window. I've put a picture of the view from my kitchen door. Have a great day! I know I will cos it started out so well.

• Great photos Cuddicat. That's a lovely rose arch - can I ask where you got it, please??? I am so pleased your Bullfinch pair have returned. I hope you don't mind my mentioning it but it would be better if you took your fat balls out of those net bags. Both those and the plastic net bags which peanuts come in can, and do, injure the birds if they get caught up in them.

• Squirrel B said:

Great photos Cuddicat. That's a lovely rose arch - can I ask where you got it, please??? I am so pleased your Bullfinch pair have returned. I hope you don't mind my mentioning it but it would be better if you took your fat balls out of those net bags. Both those and the plastic net bags which peanuts come in can, and do, injure the birds if they get caught up in them.

I got the rose arch from B & M homestore £14.99. I see your point about the fatballs and will sort it now. :)

• Wow! Great pics everyone!! Bullfinches are quite beautiful birds aren't they! Never seen the juveniles before! Quite an eye opener for me! Apart from the chunky beak they're fairly different!

• Hi Cuddicat, I'm really pleased for you the bullfinches have come back and seem ready to stay with you. The rose arch looks great, and certainly an attractive (and cheaper) alternative to a pole station.

Elibee - those young bullfinches are beautiful, and such a lovely photo of them.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 01/04/2010 19:35 in reply to Rockwolf

Beautiful pictures Cuddicat and Elibee

Like Marjus has mentioned, I am another person that has never seen a Juvenile Bullfinch.  They do look a different species of bird all together.

Wow, Cuddicat there is a great selection of feeders that you have on your trellis.  Never a trellis being used as a bird feeder hanger before so that is a new one to me.

Regards

Kathy and Dave